Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Berlin Brigade
painterdave
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 06:58 AM UTC
Any former BBde people here? Was there from 79 to 81.I'm sure it no longer exists now. Was it absorbed into other units or simply disbanded?
Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC
David

What Unit were you with? I was with 40th Armor from 90-92.

The Brigade was disbanded in 1994 with the then 6-40 Armor departing late 1992.

I visited Berlin last month with my wife and children, it was the first time back. Turner Barracks is gone replaced by several apartment buildings.

The HQ building is currently being used by our Department of State as the new US Embassy is being build in the former East.

The Outpost Theater and Nicholson Library (was not build when you were posted there) have now become a museum to the Allied Forces posted in Berlin.

I look back at my time in Berlin with great fondness as it was my first Active duty posting after OBC.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:59 PM UTC
I was there from 84-86, and continued living there until '88. Both the Major Nicholson shooting and the LaBelle bombing happened during that time, along with a few lesser known intrigues. I visited again while on a three day pass from Afghanistan in '03. The theater is indeed a pretty nice museum. The whole PX complex no longer exists in its original form. More sadly, Musik Cafe am Ku'Damm, our old biker hangout, was under new ownership, and no longer a biker joint. Same with Cafe New York, Sound, and some of the other "off limits" locales. The two Eierschales were still there, as I'm sure was the Ku'Dorf.
On the plus side, AlexanderPlatz now shines, as does a lot of what was then East Berlin.
No more waiting in line for an hour to buy Piko electric trains.
Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 155 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 08:23 PM UTC
18bravo

Who were you with when you were in Berlin?

I can still remember the suprise no the shock when I conducted my first Class A inspection of my platoon in 1990 and saw one of my E-4s sporting a Purple Heart earned in a disco.