_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Revell Sopwith Camel
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hi all.
Well,,,as I posted a couple of weeks ago, your badgering and taunting worked and I bought myself the little Revell Sopwith Camel in 1:72 of course.
Tiny isnt the word for this! The fusalage is smaller than my little finger,and my fingers arent that big either!!!!
Anyway,,a couple of progress shots while the goings good. Just finished the wing rigging.It was certainly a LOT easier drilling all the way through the bottom wing to do this.
Heres the pics,,,have a giggle,,I have :-)

Nige.
Hope the typings ok on this,,im seeing double from all this rigging
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:26 PM UTC
Err, wow, I can't believe that this is 1/72 Looking 'king good mate, I must make a start on my 1/48 2F.1 but there is a certain Spitfire which has to get started
Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
Having seen how small this thing was, i am amazed that you managed to rig it at all.
Great work so far Nige.
Personally i would have left the rigging till last, as its the most fragile part of the build. I know what you have left to do, so hopefully fixing all the completed sub assemblies on won't be too much hassle.
Andy
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally i would have left the rigging till last, as its the most fragile part of the build. I know what you have left to do, so hopefully fixing all the completed sub assemblies on won't be too much hassle.
Andy

I considered that Andy, but chose to rig the wings first for a few reasons.
The undercarriage assembly on this is very flimsy, and the rudder and tail would just have got in the way.It was easy to hold the plane by the rear fusalage while I rigged it.
Be nice to finish this before Phil gets back off his hols for a surprise.

Thanks Mal!,,Yeah,,stop reading posts about "fun" builds on here and lets see an online build for the Eduard Spit!
Had mine a couple of days now and cant stop drooling,,LOL.
What version are you going to build?
Nige

Oh yes,,talking of Spitfires,,,video,,email,,?? :-) :-)
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
Almost done.
Just final detail painting,klear/varnish and a bit of weathering to go.
Having loads of fun with this tiny biplane,,and before anybody asks,,its not the start of a WW1 collection,,LOL

Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mal!,,Yeah,,stop reading posts about "fun" builds on here and lets see an online build for the Eduard Spit!

Patience, I got the review in yesterday, which includes a few pointers, and I will be starting the build soon. I don't have any Interior green paint left so I have to get some from WEM. The problem there is that I just don't have any dosh, at the mo. However I can start with preping the resin parts and thinning down the fuselage halves.

Quoted Text

What version are you going to build?

I will be building the F Mk24 as depicted in the kit There's a build on Eduards site and it looks stunning

Quoted Text

Oh yes,,talking of Spitfires,,,video,,email,,??

I haven't forgot, I just can't find it, when I do I will send it. Keep reminding me though
That's looking good Nige, I see that you have drilled out the machine gun fronts. You have drill into the water jacket centre, the muzzle on these guns actually protrudes from the bottom of the jacket front plate.
Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
Looking good Nige.
The camel must have doubled its size with the addition of the tail and cowling now :-) .
You need to build another cowpat now for it.
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 12:27 PM UTC
How about a cow pat with a shed, just to take your diorama potential up a notch
I love the blue cowling.
Mal
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 02:06 PM UTC
blimey mate! you said there was a surprise on here, and thats certainly it. i thought you said rigging was hard? you look like you've got it well in hand on this one, so can we expect to see a tiger moth anytime soon?(which i'm sure is easier to rig than a camel)
there is a possible hiccup though, but don't quote me on it, i think there should be rigging between the struts that go from thr fusalage to the upper wing, i say this because i have a camel kit and i was wondering how to get the rigging around the guns. that aside we knew you could do it! thats a nice little model there nigel.
yoghurt
Visit this Community
entire network: 76 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi Nigel, great plane! I've never done a plane with rigging, I doubt if i ever will :-) . I also think you should put it on a little base. Keep up the good work .
Courtney
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 06:06 PM UTC
finished at last
Thanks guys,,its your fault I built this,,LOL
I thought it would be a nice surprise for you when you got back off your hols Phil The rigging isnt accurate.The box photos show the rigging by the machine guns to be in a "Y" shape,and seeing a how that gap is about the size of my little finger nail I used artistic licence and thought sod that,,LOL.
A new cowpat?,,well,,,I do need to knock a couple of smaller bases together at some point Mal,but I dont know about a shed.Im currently researching building a blast pen.Dont ask me why,,lol,it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Courtney....If I can do it,,Im sure you can!!!
There will definately be a Tiger Moth sooner rather than later!
Oh yeah,,nearly forgot,,,,,,say hello to "Biggles"!!

Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Excellent Nige looks really good, it isn't easy to tell that it's 1/72, apart from the missing "Y" shaped rigging
Nice one mate, I will be kicking off an on line build of the Eduard Spitfire soon. I have been hacking resin and thinning the fuselage halves. I am just charging the battery on my camera and I hope to take pics and start the thread later, if not tomorrow. I might be a little late home tomorrow as I'm going to pick up my latest car
Mal
yoghurt
Visit this Community
entire network: 76 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hi Nige and "Biggles". I think your plane is excellent since it's so small. I'm proud of you . Will you do a German one next? Did you do "Biggles" for a campaign?
"Biggles" is cool. Tell him I said hi. The rigging must of been really hard, it's a shame about the missing Y.
Courtney .
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 02:41 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Biggles says Hi Courtney
Biggles wasnt built for a campaign,i built him just to try and see if I could do it,,and also cause your dad and others were bugging me to do it.
So,,a challenge has been thrown down by Jean Luc over on Aeroscale it seems.LOL.

Well,,,ssssssshhhhhhhh everyone. Keep it under your collective hat but Im going to do another one and paint it in this scheme. Theres no way I can resist building that!!!
It looks really complicated but when you break it down into sections its not that bad, plus I can paint the seperate sections before assembly.
So "mums the word" everyone.
It'll be ages before I get to start it though as it looks like Im going to be on tour for 14 weeks starting mid Sept. Oh bugger,,LOL
One things for sure though,,,it WILL be built!!!! Cant guarantee I'll manage that "Y" bit of rigging though,,LOL
Nige
 _GOTOTOP