_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Hand vs. Electric Tools
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
I was thinking the other day about what tools I use - a hand file vs. a dremel bit, a peice of sandpaper vs an electric sander, a razor saw vs. an electric microsaw.
I find myself using more hand tools than electric tools. I like the control and precision I can get with the hand tools. I have a dremel, an electric micro saw, and sander so it doesn't come from availability.

So what is your preference - hand tools vs. electric?

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
Handtools, they are generally smaller, a lot cheeper and donīt carry the same risk of injuries ...

Most of my modeling tools fit in a rather small box, so i can bring it along on holidays, weekends etc... so space do matter.

And, most of the stuff I modify is quite small, so I too like the better control and feel of handtools

Cheers
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 5,422 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
If I can do it with more power, that's the way to go. Aaarrrgggg. Tim "the ToolMan" Taylor build models. I do use hand tools when I need to a light touch. Nothing like seeing some one building a model with a 12v cordless drill in his hands. :-)
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
'Less power!' - no, that can't be right

Definitely prefer hand tools over the alternatives. I don't drill that many holes in one go that using power drill would be worth it. And you'll never take away my sanding sticks and sheets of wet or dry...

David
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC
I use a Dremel for heavy duty cleaning on metal figures, such as in llocator holes where there is excess material. I also keep a black & Decker cordless drill to make hole in bases (to accept Celluclay better) and to drill holes to accept brass rod to pin a figure to a base or to hve a better hnadle to paint a head. Everything else is human powered.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 09:32 PM UTC
Depends on what I'm doing, if I have a lot of material to remove, I'll dig out the old 5inch disc sander/belt sander combo, hook up the 1gal shop vac, and use that. During my vacuform aircraft days, I used a detail sander for sanding the parts, worked fine, and sure cut down time needed to sand the parts, just needed to learn to use light pressure. I also use a Dremel with hand piece if needed. For finer details and finishing, the old standards of needle files, razor saws, and wet and dry still work for me.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 07:14 AM UTC
It depends on the anount of stock to be removed, Time and Accuracy required.... if I have a dremel w/ the flexishaft... so (And a milling maching at my disposal) but i do use hand files alot some are even "noramal" sized ones....
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 04:20 AM UTC
If you are speaking strictly of models then I prefer hand tools. Howeer if you expand into dios and bases then I cannot live without my tablesaw, miter saw and palmsander
 _GOTOTOP