_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Soldering iron recommendation?
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 02:36 PM UTC
Would you guys please recommend a soldering iron for use on photoetch? I'm quite new to pe and have used CA glue with less than stellar results the very few times I've worked with it, so I've decided to learn to solder it before I go any further. I was a silversmith for many years and therefore have a lot of experience soldering fiddly silver and gold parts with an acetylene torch, but I've used a soldering iron perhaps twice in my life. I've read the posts I could find on the subject, but I would really appreciate any advice and recommendations I can get.
Removed by original poster on 11/06/06 - 06:14:19 (GMT).
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 04:57 PM UTC
I'm using the adjustable (not the resistance soldering unit) iron from Weller? available through Micromark (www.micromark.com), the micro tip, some of Micro Mark's liquid flux, the brass 'scratch brush' for cleaning parts up, and some Radio shack solder.

the last I soldered was 8th grade shop class (I was what.. 12-13..) and got a D+.. with this, and a little practice, I'm soldering Eduard Pz IV skirts, M113 interiors and assorted fiddly bits.

There are some etched soldered bits in my gallery, the Nashorn ammo bins are 20+ pieces, all soldered.

I'm interested in the new Small shop tool, but have found a way that works (finally! ) for me..

Good luck, drop me a pm if you have more questions.

Mike
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the responses. I assume that the reason for the variable temperature control is to deal with different sized parts, right?
MLD: I've sent you a PM.
casper: On a side note, that's a wicked looking target rifle. And your scratchbuilt tires are way cool.
Removed by original poster on 11/06/06 - 06:13:57 (GMT).
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:53 PM UTC
Thanks casper. That just goes to show how complete my ignorance of soldering with an iron is. In jewelry work, particularly when just starting out, you use solders with different melting points for exactly the same reason, though with experience you will usually use just one since when it melts the first time its melting point is raised just a bit. It didn't even occur to me that the same factors would be present with soft solders.
 _GOTOTOP