History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
SHOT AT DAWN
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 276 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 02:40 AM UTC
The British government has declared a general pardon for the 306 British and Commonwealth soldiers shot at dawn for alleged cowardness during WW1. All i can say is ABOUT BLOODY TIME! To read more about this go toBBC NEWS.COM
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 05:29 PM UTC
Here Here.

I still fail to see how people who never went to the front line could pass judgement. At least this current government have done one thing right.

Andy
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 05:42 PM UTC
With all due respect to those that were declared cowards at the time this is just a case of President Blair playing the Political Correctness. It does not effect the men who were accused of cowardice so really there is no point to it. The problem here is that a 21st century govt is applying its morals to an early 20th century event. Sorry my feelings on this is that it should be left alone. What happened was terrible I agree but my view is that it is an attempt by the govt to play on the confidence of the public not out of any good will to those who were shot.

Ross
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:25 PM UTC
Forget the politicians. The real kudos go to Private Farr's 93 year old daughter Gertrude Harris, who had the guts and the fortitude to fight for her father's reputation through the legal system.

As a side bar Australian troops were exempted from execution by firing squad, coming under a different set of rules. Australian servicemen . I believe that German troops were also exempt from the firing squad.

Jeff W.
Zacman
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With all due respect to those that were declared cowards at the time this is just a case of President Blair playing the Political Correctness. It does not effect the men who were accused of cowardice so really there is no point to it. The problem here is that a 21st century govt is applying its morals to an early 20th century event. Sorry my feelings on this is that it should be left alone. What happened was terrible I agree but my view is that it is an attempt by the govt to play on the confidence of the public not out of any good will to those who were shot.

Ross

I agree it should have been left alone, where will it end. Also spare a thought for the poor barstards who had to carry out the firing squad, you now condem them to being crimminals!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ross

I agree it should have been left alone, where will it end. Also spare a thought for the poor barstards who had to carry out the firing squad, you now condem them to being crimminals!

I think it was done for the families of the executed, and obviously not for the men themselves -- since it's too late. The men in the firing squads, as in all military firing squads, will remain anonymous, their names not in any records. So even if it was a criminal act -- which it isn't -- they won't have any stains. If they aren't dead by now too. The executions were legitimate under military law at the time, so the executioners aren't criminals. Remember, the condemned have now been pardoned, not declared innocent. Only the guilty can be pardoned. Innocent are absolved.
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 12:27 PM UTC
its the govement trying to get in the good books and deflect attenion eleswhere . this is stupid now weve got people trying to get the nore and spithead mutineers pardoned and they were hung in nelsons time. we cannot apply our morals to our forefathers. you pardon the lot and now the cowards and derserters are let off. let the military run its own affairs
Zacman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it was done for the families of the executed, and obviously not for the men themselves -- since it's too late. The men in the firing squads, as in all military firing squads, will remain anonymous, their names not in any records. So even if it was a criminal act -- which it isn't -- they won't have any stains. If they aren't dead by now too. The executions were legitimate under military law at the time, so the executioners aren't criminals. Remember, the condemned have now been pardoned, not declared innocent. Only the guilty can be pardoned. Innocent are absolved.

They might remain anonymous to military records, but i can assure you they and their families know about it.
I can remember my grandfather telling me one of the hardest things he has ever had to do in his life, was commanding a firing squad.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They might remain anonymous to military records, but i can assure you they and their families know about it.
I can remember my grandfather telling me one of the hardest things he has ever had to do in his life, was commanding a firing squad.

If they are alive, they might remember it, but I doubt their families do. A legitimate military order carries no shame. I have twice been on firing squads and it wasn't tougher than anything else I've done as a soldier. And as I said, the executed haven't been declared innocent, just pardoned. So the order was legit, and still is.
Zacman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If they are alive, they might remember it, but I doubt their families do. A legitimate military order carries no shame. I have twice been on firing squads and it wasn't tougher than anything else I've done as a soldier. And as I said, the executed haven't been declared innocent, just pardoned. So the order was legit, and still is.

Sorry to take so long to reply, but I've been moving house.
My grandfather was in the British Army, in India before and during ww2. As kids we would always ask him to tell us about the war he would always change the subject or tell us that the reason he was bold was because a missile skimmed him on the head and took his hair!
The story about the firing squad was one of the few things he told me about his time during the war. The Firing squad was ordered because the man was found AWOL, my grandfather didn't want to kill one of his men, and tried to have him put in jail,but was ordered to do it.