_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Graphite stick tip
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 02:58 PM UTC
I recently visited an arts and craft store in Copenhagen. There I found a large chunky graphite stick. I have often used graphite, from a pencil, for tracks and guns, either ground up on a piece of sandpaper and applied with a finger tip or a brush, or just used the pencil directly on the item.
This morning I started to grind up some graphite, from my graphite stick and rubbed it on the tracks, with the tip of a finger. Then I stopped "why are you using your finger, when you can use the large flat end of the graphite stick"
I used the flat end of the graphite stick, on the tracks and finished in no time at all. This was so easy. Just put the stick on the tracks and rub it back and forth.
In this case I have used rubber tracks, but I'm sure this could be used on any type of tracks.

mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 07:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the great tip. That looks like a simple, elegant solution, and the tracks look great. I'm off to the Artist Supply store near me now to find that graphite stick.

Cheers,
Mike

05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC
Cool stick! I usually use powdered dry lube for large applications.Dust some on and then finger rub for highlight.If I have a 'neat attack' ,I'll use a stiff bristle flat brush and use a dry brush stroke on 'em.
cheers!
 _GOTOTOP