Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Why they say, "Do not try this at home"
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
Better idea: Just leave the grenade be
Brazilian man dies opening rocket-propelled grenade with sledgehammer

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - A Brazilian man died Tuesday when he tried to open what police believe was a rocket-propelled grenade with a sledgehammer in a mechanical workshop on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro.

Another man who was in the workshop at the time of the explosion was rushed to a hospital with severe burns, a police officer told Reuters. The workshop was destroyed and several cars parked outside caught fire.

Police found several unexploded army issue rocket-propelled grenades in the workshop. They believe the ammunition had been brought there by scavengers wanting to sell them as scrap metal, but they also are investigating a possible link to Rio's heavily armed drug gangs who often raid military bases.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 04:15 PM UTC

Smiling...
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 06:21 PM UTC
I actually went ahead and submitted it for the Darwin Awards.

Jeff
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 01:42 PM UTC
We used to pick up a lot of cartridge cases out of the River Severn when I was working there, and spotted some more dodgy ordnance, including a landmine - gave that a wide berth... One of my less-bright co-workers was seen casually kicking a naval shell that had been washing around in the Severn since the 40s. Luckily I wasn't there for that.

I was however given a shell by some builders in Carmarthen who thought we might be interested as archaeologists. Turned out on (cautious) examination to be a solid AP shot, so I kept it.
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 164 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 01:11 PM UTC
Have one for you.
Seems we had an airman at our base who just didn't believe us when we told him that if just one of the pins was pulled from the Martin Baker ejection seat in the F-4E , we had sitting in the hanger, the seat was live. He went out, pulled a pin; then proceeded to pull the handles on the seat. Which promptly shot him into the hanger roof. We figured he might have made it out of the hanger if that darned ole I beam hadn't got in his way.
Jerry
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 585 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 03:34 PM UTC
Many years ago I shared a house with some fellow students.
One night we were all sitting around the living room in an (ahem) "enhanced" state of mind... when one of our number (not me I hasten to add) disappeared up to his room, came back with a small cardboard suitcase from which he pulled with great glee what appeared to be a live 303 round. OK we said, so what?
He then proceeded to strike the base of the round on anything pointy that he could get his hands on, before attacking it with a hammer.
We sensibly took cover, peeping from behind our selection of scatter cushions and newspapers...
I believe he is now a psychiatrist.
MC