Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Uniform question
SteveBuscemi
Visit this Community
Upper Austria, Austria
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
Hey there guys,

I have a question regarding the U.S. uniform.
I have been to the states just recently and at a train station I saw two soldiers in their cammos. The american flag patch on their shoulder was upside down. I didn't want to make an ass out of myself by asking them why they wear it upside down,... ever since I saw them though, I wanted to know why.

Can anyone tell me if this means something in particular, or did they simply just put it on the wrong way? I hope I am not making an ass out of myself asking,...

If so, I am very sorry to have brung it up,... I am just an Austrian who doesn't know,...

Thx in advance!

Heli
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 03:39 AM UTC
They're held on with Velcro, aren't they? Ours are too (in Canada) and I occasionally turn a friends name or ranks upside down... never the flag, though! I'm a jerk, but not a disrespectful one
The flag flies rearward on their shoulders, but the fellows that you saw may have been victims of a jerky co-worker.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 04:41 AM UTC
Are you sure you mean upside down and not "backward"? The flags we wear are reverse patterned. The blue field always goes forward. Think of the sleeve as a flag pole. When worn on the right side, the flag looks backwards compared to the normal direction of the flag.