TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Apocalypse Now Redux pt.2
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC
I was watching extra and entertainment tonight. The host mentioned that Apocalypse Now was being reissued with a second DVD. The second DVD will have interviews with Brando, Fishburn, Duval and Sheen as well as copala! Has anyone heard of this news besides myself?
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC
Is that anything to do with the 'Hearts of Darkness' documentary which I got with the VHS edition of 'Apocalypse Now redux'?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
I just saw something in yesterday's paper. There will be a two disc set with both the original release and "Redux" and two hours of additional material, In "Redux" there will be some sort of tag to let you know where additonal scenes start and end. The list price was said to be $19.99. Here's a link to the article. Note the writer's quibble towards the end.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC
Apocolypse Now Reduex was released in the theater some time back. It's actually even been on tv/cable a few times. It's been a while since I saw the original version but if my memory serves me these are some of the extra I recall

1) Longer battle scene when they attack the village playing Wagner.
2) They run into the Playboy bunnies later in their trip
3) I'm not sure about this part but I don't recall that the boat crew had dinner with the French plantation owners after the bury the first crewman.
4) Every now and then they will add a few extra angles in a scene but it's not a big deal. Adds a few extra seconds to a scene.

Plus you get all the extra interviews and stuff.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 01:11 PM UTC
I've got the redux version, for some reason people say that the original was much better. I disagree, but we all have our opinions. Shermie is on the spot with the "main" extra scenes. The quality obviously is better too.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 09:20 PM UTC
I'm with you on this as well. For some reason, a lot of people feel that the "theatrical release" is somehow the ONLY "real" movie, and anything else is "dishonest" in some way.

The version of a movie that winds up in a theater has been put together from all the scenes shot and represents a compromise of what is felt to be needed to best tell the story and usually omits scenes which are felt don't absolutely have to be included to move the story along to a good conclusion in the interest of saving the viewer some time.

To me it simply represents ONE possible version of the story, a condensed version if you will. I for one almost always appreciate extended versions with deleted scenes added back in as it usually helps explain in more detail things that while don't HAVE to be clear to tell the story, do round it out.

For example, do you remember the scene in "The Blues Brothers" when the old man in the flop house lobby asks Elwood if he remembered his "Cheese Whiz" and he reaches into his coat and tosses it to him.

Anybody ever wonder "what's THAT all about?"

Tom

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 02:10 AM UTC
Tom is there a Blues Brothers directors cut that gives us the answer about the cheese whiz?
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
Alan, the answer is yes! There is a 25th Anniversary Edition of the film which includes several deleted and extended scenes.

In a deleted scene, we see Elwood reporting to his boss that he is quiting his job because he is now on a mission from God and is putting the band back together.

And his job is working in a Cheese-Whiz factory. In the scene you also see him stuff several cans into a brief case and under his coat before he quits. That's the connection with the old man in the lobby.

Sort of goes along with the bit at the gas station where he meets Twiggy and stuffs a fistfull of windshield wiper blades under his coat as well.

The original movie works fine without the scene but does leave that little disconnect making you wonder why they didn't cut that little exchange in the lobby as well.

If you like the move (who doesn't????) I'd definitely get the Special Edition DVD as it also includes a lot of interviews etc.

Tom