_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Bren Gun Carrier/Buna Question
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 10:36 AM UTC
G'day guys
well right now i'm working on a 1/35th Diorama portraying the push onto Buna Village on the 6th of December 1942, though there were numerous units involved i will be showing the Australian 18th Brigade (former 39th Militia Battalion) and a Stuart of the 2/6th Armored Regiment, assaulting Japanese defensive positions during the battle.
My question is, did the 18th have Bren Gun Carriers with them during the battle.
I know it's a fairly specific question but im hoping someone here will know.
Cheers
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 02:56 PM UTC
Gday Dave
Have found a link that gives some sort of overview around Buna...
Namely Dec. 5, but there were definitely Bren gun carriers used...
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-C-Papua/index.html
cheers
Brad
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 04:45 PM UTC
Beauty mate, your a legend.
Wondering who they were from though, don't think the yanks used em so i would assume they wouldve been from the 18th, in which case they would bear the markings of that unit right?
Ah well i dunno if i'll even worry about the marking i think ill just make it burnt out.
Cheers!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wondering who they were from though, don't think the yanks used em so i would assume they wouldve been from the 18th, in which case they would bear the markings of that unit right?

Dave, found some more info... seems they had aussie crew under US command for the attack...
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-P-Papua/USA-P-Papua-13.html
Cheers mate
Brad
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 03:23 PM UTC
Apparently 5 carriers were used on 5 dec to spearhead a US attack as the Tanks hadn't arrived yet and that was all the armour avail. They were crewed by Australain Cavalry troops - 4 to a vehicle. They were used in support of the US troops and they were all lost attacking a line of Bunkers at walking pace with the US III Bn massed behind. The Attack was a dismal Failure and resulted in the Cavalry officer Lt Ferguson when his suppoting troops abandoned him after his driver was shot. Apparently the result may have been different if the troops hadn't fled. Lt Ferguson was the Son of Brig Ferguson who commanded an Australain Armd Bde. They were NOT used alongside the Stuarts. Paul Hams excellent book on Kokoda has very detailed sections on Gona and Buna but only refers to the carriers as Cavalry on page 460. As 2/6th were in the theatre I would assume they were 2/6th vehicles. I found no ref to the 18th having carriers.
Cheers
Al
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 03:28 PM UTC
Thanks guys.
Al yeah just gonna have one Burnt out from the attacks prior to the one i will portray, need something to fill space and it should make a good addition.
Cheers
 _GOTOTOP