_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Instruction sheets
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hi all.....I rememeber about a month or so back about possibly putting scans of instruction sheets on here.....or at least having a data base as to who has what.

Has there been any more thought to this? I was going through some of my boxes and came across a bunch of old instructions from years past....some cars...but also some aircraft....mostly Revell and Monogram stuff....but still!!
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
A friend of mine had a site on the internet that dealt with just instruction sheets from all kinds of models......armour....cars....planes.....ships.....and from all years....some people buy older kits and find they are missing the directions....so why wouldn't they be needed?
I will phone and ask him tonight if it's still online....if it is I will post it here later.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:05 PM UTC
I have saved all of mine (at least from the last 5 years or so). So I'm up for scanning and emailing. I have 'donnated' a couple reprints to people who's instuctions saw better days.
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:13 PM UTC
Gentlemen and Pigs,

I'm up for that, I've got about two boot boxes full of sheets from way way back. Come up with a Url or when we get that new server happening, maybe we can set up a database, sort of a who has what. Maybe we could have a contest, see who can come up with the earliest date on an instruction sheet, that should be good for some real good stuff from a group like this. I do have a stone tablet that has........

Jay All Loyalty to the Sty
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 04:37 PM UTC
I think at the time Jim had said that a large database of instructions might be too much for the site to handle. But between all of us plastic nuts we should have every instruction sheet made! And come to think of it I do have my sheet for my all wood 1:1 scale ark. Can't get much older than that!
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 04:43 PM UTC
Yeah, I always keep the directions sheets, dont know why, but I would be willing to help scan or something.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:23 AM UTC
The best thing to do since there is a database size issue it to just post a list broken down by type, scale, manufacturer, etc. and the user name of individuals that have that sheet. Someone needing one can PM the person listed who has volunteered in advance to either make a photocopy or scan and e-mail it out.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 02:40 AM UTC
There were two reasons the idea kind of died. The first was the size of the database, and the other was copywrite infringement. I don't think the email thing would be a bad idea. I have 100 or so instruction sheets and a scanner. How's this? Why don't you guys send me a list of the instructions you have and I will try to create a database of the instructions we have and who has them, then we can see if Jim will post the list on a page? Sound good? Any thoughts on how the database should look? I guess if you want to send a list to me, make sure you have a scanner available, and that you send me the kit number and name as it appears on the instructions,along with your name and email address.

Rob

[email protected]
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 05:16 AM UTC
Wow, I actually learned something today. I learned to use a new Office program, Access, to make a database. Cool, Huh? Anyway, if anyone want's me to add their instructions sheets to the list I just made for my models, send me the manufacturer, Kit number, kit name as it appears on the instructions (some editing allowed) and your name and E-mail. When I have a bunch I will see if Jim wants to add a page for them.

Rob

PS I had 60 instruction sheets, how many do you have?
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hi,

Rob,
I will send you a Access table with the kits I've. I keep all the instructions sheets.

2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:02 AM UTC
The copyright thing is an issue, butif you have the kit with no instructions then I can't see the problem with getting them from soneone. As for putting them up on the site the overhead would be too high for such an endeavor, but a list of who has what; now that makes sense. I have lots of storage and would be able to do such a thing. As an Access user of some expertise (not an expert, just a good user), I could build one then tell people what the layout is, and I am sure there are some Access gurus or programmers in this bunch.

Data could be send with Excel or Access and then added to the database with a query... not difficult at all. Then, if you need an instruction sheet you go in and put in the manufacturer and kit number, look for the kit and send an email requesting a scanned copy.

Those without scanners could provide hard copy to others who can do the scanning.

So, if we want to do this, let's get on it...

Some instruction sheets have better pictures of the way things should be for certain kits (The Heller Leopard 1A4 kit's instuctions are awful and I used the Italiari instructions to get a better look) so they may be of help. Scratch builders can use them too. This would come under the "fair use" doctrine and as long as we do not charge we are OK. Wholesale publishing is one thing, sharing copies with other modelers is another.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:17 AM UTC
OK....so basically all we need to do is to send in a list of what we have for instructions?
ie: Kit name and model number?

That would make things much simpler....I like the idea of having a database on the kits/model numbers, and then having the owner's e-mail there to get a hold of the person so they can send them the instruction sheets!! Ingenious!!!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
If you want to send them through Access, I used the field namesof Manufacturer, Kit Number, Kit Name, Supplier (your name), and Email (for each listing) You don't have to add your name or email to each one, I can do that later when I combine them. I indexed them for manufacturer first then kit number. The next question is how do you add your files to mine easily,is it just a cut and paste thing? Any ideas, Lance?

Rob
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
Yea - Copying and Pasting from Access to Access will work from one db to another. Just make sure have hightlighted all the records in the table datasheet view.
If you get other sources (ie Excel or csv) you can use the Ger External data option on the file menu. Walk through that wizard and that'll get other types of files.
Just post question and well get it done.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
I just found out that files saved as Microsoft Data Base(.mdb) attachments from Access will be blocked by Outlook. If you send me a file, first rename it something like .rob or whatever,then send it,I will change it back when I get it.

Example: instructions.mdb changed to instructions.rob

Thanks and any idea how to get rid of that security block?

Rob
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:24 AM UTC
I'll send out a list of my instruction sheets. Don't forget to include scale since there will be 1/72 (and 1/76) and 1/35 (and 1/32).

As far as the copy/paste thing, you should be able to merge files in Access. But I think that since this will be more of a listing than a true "database", using MS Excel would be easier to create, merge, organize, etc. You could even e-mail out the spreadsheet and have the "donor" e-mail addresses hotlinked.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC
The keeper of the data can keep the data in Access, which allows for many, many options for sorting, organizing and printing. When the data is updated the keeper can just run a query/report that produces a current lisiting in Excel and upload that to a server.

Email addresses can be included in a field, just like it can me in Excel or Word.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll send out a list of my instruction sheets. Don't forget to include scale since there will be 1/72 (and 1/76) and 1/35 (and 1/32).

I was thinking of doing different tables for each scale.

Can Excel documents be sent and recieved through outlook?
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 10:26 AM UTC
Excel spread sheets should be allowed to be sent through outlook.....I would think that Access would also.....but I guess not..

If you zipped it with something like WInzip.....you should be able to send the zip file.....however maybe not everyone has or knows how to use Winzip or a similar program
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 10:32 AM UTC
I use outlook at work and I have never had any problems sending any type of MS Office file through it. I don't use Access that often (in e-mail) so I can't comment on whether or not it can be e-mailed through outlook. I do know that the other programs in the MS Office suite can be used like Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 11:15 AM UTC
Hi,

At my company we use Outlook and we change Access files without problems, but for those that haven't Access, Excel is ok and easy to transfer for Access the info.

sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
Ok, I got halfway through this thread, you guys are very keen on sharing instruction sheets
and that`s good because it`s a very neccessary service. Having said that, my instruction sheet site is still up and running , been there on MSN for quite sometime. The only problem is I don`t have access as a manager to manage it anymore so if one of you good people would like to start another site there on MSN , and it can handle the load, I would be more than happy to transfer everything that is there to the new one and also help contribute.There are also a few souls on my site who are members,they can also be transfered to the new one. I don`t have the time to take it on as I`m in the process of putting together military vehicle image CDs, more on that later! So here is my site on MSN and this would be a very good tie-in with Armorama MSN site;
WWII MVRC IIII
[email protected]
I would like to add that the site can handle all of the title selections, groupings if so desired, labels and directories, management of the site is fairly easy. Have a look at my site
for layout etc, you can have as many managers and co-managers as you need, have a good look, see what you think, I really don`t think Copywrite would be any problem here at all, no funds to deal with at all! Also have a look at the sizes of each file, you download what you need in those sizes and enlarge on your computer and print. This works!
russ
ps; How about scratching a 17pdr using a set of old Airfix 17pdr instructions, sound good??
http://groups.msn.com/WWIIMVRCIIII/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-ca
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:24 PM UTC
What ever happened to the idea of having a sort of base exchange on the site? We discussed the idea of having people ask for a missing part etc. some time ago. Maybe this would be the ideal way to handle the instruction sheet thing. I know that I check the latest post deal first and if I saw that someone needed a sheet that I had I could just scan them and send them to them. By the same same token, if someone had a Sherman hatch that I needed that could see what I needed and mail it to me. What happened to that?

Let me know because I have sh#t I have saved for 20 some years and am always willing to help.

(:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-)

Merry Christmas... Oh, wait...
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 03:36 PM UTC
Oink, Oink, OInk.
I'm going as fast as my trotters can trot, and that's tuff on a microsoft keyboard.

of course you know that this did come up just as I am beginning my two days off from work, now where did I put that first box.....

God, does this mean I have to open another Microsoft product again and deal with all the mayhem that brother Bill stuffs in there to keep big brother updated on your activities computerwise? Yes little piglet, its time to get ready to go back to regedit and rip out about a third of what you find there Take that you little........

Okay not very much time in the chatroom, no more than an hour or three.

I'll be in touch

Jay Pigboy with a mission!

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:40 AM UTC
Okay, I have Tuga's worked in, and am waiting for more. BTW Tuga has A LOT of models!!!

Keenan, we changed the For Sale or Trade forum to the Searching For, For Sale, and Trade Forum. If you need something, post it under Wanted:Parts.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP