_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Desert Storm resources
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hello all,

I am going to start working on a lot of models from the gulf war. I have found some good resources for the U.S. forces involved but I am having trouble tracking down coalition forces and Irag forces information. I have been doing some research myself and picked up some old magazines but I thought I would ask if anyone here had some good links to desert strorm information so I don't recreate the wheel. I will post the magazines and books I have another time and see if anyone knows anything I should add to it, but for now I would like to find some good web resources for now. Well, if you have the name of some good books or magazines issues I should have go ahead and throw them my way too. Thanks for the help.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:16 PM UTC
There is an Osprey Book, Desert Storm Special 1, Land Power-The Coalition and Iraq Armies by Tim Ripley. Also the Squadron Signal Ground War Desert Storm.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC
I've been looking for some web scources of desert storm pics myself.
I did see a book by a British tanker at B&N a while back, but don't remember the title. It had sever pics of British AFVs. If it's still there this weekend (and we don't have a spring blizzard) I will post the info here.
I'm looking mostly for US stuff.
Chuck
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:22 PM UTC
Drew,
Did you look at the pics I have down loaded here from myself and my father while we where there. I know they are not that great, but can they be of help. If you want, the next time I go home to San Antonio, I'll stop by my dads and get some more. He has a hole box full, Not as many as I have most of them got ruined with the sand. He even has some that you cant and will not see in the books or papers.
Like Rob said, the concord books are by far a good source, the only bad thing is most of them are out of print. You might have to hit Ebay or the shows for those.
The best thing I can suggest is finding Vets that where there. Like I said, there are a lot of picturs and videos that can not be printed for the public to see.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC
Chris Mrosko's Concord Publications book #1026 - Third Brave Rifles in the Storm is a very nice photo reference on 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment vehicles in Desert Storm.

Gunnie
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hey Gunnie,
My dad is in that book. Well you cant really make him out. He and his crew are standing in back of there Bradley and in front of them is a group of Iraqi prisoners sitting on the ground under a tarp. The tarp is my dad's turret tarp. They where pulling guard duty for the POW's. Im not joking!!!!!! I have to check again, but I think some of the pictures of the Iraqi vehicles I posted are in the book too.
Just a bit of useles info.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gunnie,
My dad is in that book. Well you cant really make him out. He and his crew are standing in back of there Bradley and in front of them is a group of Iraqi prisoners sitting on the ground under a tarp. The tarp is my dad's turret tarp. They where pulling guard duty for the POW's. Im not joking!!!!!! I have to check again, but I think some of the pictures of the Iraqi vehicles I posted are in the book too.
Just a bit of useles info.

Thanks Epi - I'm gonna mark that page now!

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Hopefully not with a black mustache and glasses
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 04:40 AM UTC
Check under the Desert Storm Album, and look at the picture titled Iraqi POW's. Then flip through the 3rd ACR book towards the back. Dejavu!!!! Its the same POW's, just taken at a different angle. I just know noticed that. Now I deffinatly have to get my dad to sign my book. I just wished all my pictures made it through the sand form over there.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
Looks like some really good information guys. As always I get exactly what I need from this site, thankyou all for the input.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Hopefully not with a black mustache and glasses

Heh heh - how'd 'ya know

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
There are also some Verlinden Warmachine books, #8 "A Gulf War Eyewitness Report", and #13 "On the Road to Kuwait".
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are also some Verlinden Warmachine books, #8 "A Gulf War Eyewitness Report", and #13 "On the Road to Kuwait".

Rob,
Have you seen either of those books, and if so, are they worth having? I've got the ones on the M113 family and they are excellent. I've considered ordering the two you mentioned.
Chuck
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
No I don't, but I have the M1, M60A3 and the Bradley ones and I like them too.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC
The two Warmachines that Rob mentioned are great to have in your ref library. I have them and they have great pictures in them. There worth it.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi there
If you are planning to model British Desert Storm armour, New Vanguard no 10 "WARRIOR Mechanised Combat Vehicle 1987-1994", no23 "CHALLENGER Main Battle Tank 1982-1997",Europa Militaria no25 "WARRIOR COMPANY" And no29 "CHALLENGER SQUADRON" have some pics of these afv's in the desert.Also Wheels &Tracks issue 41 has pics of various british afv's,Fuchs nbc,Scimitar, Fox,FV432,Chieftain bridgelayer etc.
Finally www.armourinfocus.co.uk has pics of a British M110A2 (Preserved) in sand.
HTH
Regards
Peter
 _GOTOTOP