_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Hobby Maker of Bedford, TX (DFW area)
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hey fellow DFW modelers.

Last night I was hanging out with a buddy of mine who used to work at Hobby Maker in Bedford, TX. He told me the owner of HM, Mike Barnette sr. recently died of heart attack.

I remember Mike sr well and he was kind to me. Mike Barnette jr. and I used to hand out and party. I just want to let everyone know this is indeed a sad news.

WC
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:04 AM UTC
Yea Ben, I posted something about this when it actually happened. OH YEA, BUT REMEMBER, HOBBY MAKER WAS NOTHING COMPARED TO PHIL'S!!!!!! YUP MIKE SR. DIDN'T OPEN HIS STORE AND STAYED OPEN AFTER IT CLOSED FOR SOME LOCAL GUYS TO HOLD THERE CLUB MEETING. HE DIDN'T ASLO GIVE A DISCOUNT TO THESE GUYS, LET THEM OPEN KITS SO THEY CAN SEE THEM AND THEN GO ORDER THEM FORM SOME ONLINE PLACE.
I couldn't make the funeral because of military duty. Mike Sr. was like a second father to me and working there at Hobby Maker for 6 years, Mike Sr. and his family helped me through a lot of things.

What freind that worked at there told you about it?

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 01:04 AM UTC
My ex wife and I shopped there for years. She liked all the NASCAR cars and the dinosaur kits. I loved the extensive goodies I could use fr dioramas. Bought a lot of paint there too.I met the man and talked with probably all of the family as Pete says they were always there.

Sorry to hear this.
 _GOTOTOP