_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best Cutting Tool For PE?
Hellcat
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:19 AM UTC
I was wondering what you guys use to cut PE with? I just use my same tool from cutting parts off the sprews. but sometime it bends the PE.
Any ideas? Thanks
M4A1-M4A3
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
Xuron make a cutter for PE, I also use a flat x-acto blade, on a piece of 2 inch x 2 inch steel mold, yes it wears the blade out but the cut is clean, and when the block of steel gets to many nicks in it I have it milled to remove them (it's cheap).
Hopes this helps
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:34 PM UTC
As it says in my signature, I am a PE expert (self proclaimed). Use a piece of flat, hard plastic as a base and then cut the PE from it's "spruce" with a sharp exacto blade.
Happy P.E.ing,
Andrew

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:38 PM UTC
We had a bunch of spare ceramic tiles sitting in the storage closet, so I took a few and use them to cut on. They are very hard and work perfectly in conjunction with an X-acto knife. I actually prefer to use an old blade just because cutting pe tends to break the tips on new ones. I am, however, not a PE expert, self-proclaimed or otherwise, so don't take my word for gospel.

Nic
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
I rarely use PE, but on the rare occasion that I do, I use a pair of shears from a suture removal kit. Also can use a small pair of bandage shears.

Patrick
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 03:58 PM UTC
Like some of the other guys here, I use an xacto-knife. I think the most important thing is that you cut on a flat, hard surface. Having a sharp blade helps as well. Xacto blades are expensive if purchased at retail($3.00us to $5.00us for 5 blades) but I have found you can get a box of 100 blades from Micro-Mark for around $15.00us.

I have not used the PE scissors mentioned so I cannot comment on them. I would be curious to read additional feedback on them myself.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi Hellcat,
Cutting on a hard surface will stop the PE from bending, I use a piece of glass, but any hard surface will do. For cutting I use a No 10 scalpel blade (rounded end), I slide the blade up to the part edge, close to the tag, then rock it, forward or back, to cut. This will ensure that the cut is close to the edge. Hold the part in a pair of flat nosed pliers or tweezers, right on the edge and file off any tag remaining. :-)
Mal
Rico
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 66 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
I do the same thing as Holdfast, but I cut the sprue farther from the part, and once it's removed from the sprue, use one of those falt chisel blades in the Xacto knife to cut as close to the edge of the part as possible.
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
I too use a flat hard surface...a piece of glass. I also use older exacto knifes because it will dull your blade rather quickly.

Good luck,

Hellcat
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Thanks for all the grate ansers!!! I'll try the exacto on the hard surface.
 _GOTOTOP