Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
anyone tech savvy here?
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 01:04 PM UTC
I'm trying to remove a program from my computer (call of duty game I installed a long time ago) but when I click the "remove" button (I'm in the add/remove programs in the control panel) it pops up with a message saying:
"could not open uninstall.log file"

help? please :-)
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
entire network: 553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hi Shain, like all things with Windows, you're not the only one having problems by the look of things. I googled 'call of duty uninstall logfile' ; amongst other things I found similar problem
Hope this may be of help
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
Some programs require you put the installation disk in the drive to perform an uninstall. Have you tried that?
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 07:08 PM UTC
I have the exact same problem. No matter what I have tried I cant remove that one from the computer.
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 08:12 PM UTC
Best solution is to buy an Apple computer.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm curious as to what is the advantages of an Apple computer? I have seen others say the same thing. I'm not really a computer saavy person
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm curious as to what is the advantages of an Apple computer? I have seen others say the same thing. I'm not really a computer saavy person

I quess my best short answer is the Mac allows me to think like a person rather than a computer. An example would be, if I want to remove a file I put it in the trash and empt;y it. Just like I would take a file out of my desk drawer, throw it in the trash and then take the trash out. Granted I have only removed the file from the directory but I have freed up the space to be over written by a new file. There may still be support files tucked away in the OS library but I run a program that cleans out files that does not have the application installed.

Below is another Mac users comments:

"Well-- the very obvious one is that nobody is writing viruses to attack Macs. Saves me a lot of time, trouble and energy.
My experience with both is that the operating system is more stable. Even XP on a Pentium is not as stable as either OS 9 or OS X on the Mac. The OS X system is powerful and very stable. I work in an environment where all machines are PCs and I am amazed at how much work has to be done to keep them all going.
If you need to work with movies go with the Mac. I know a High School teacher who wanted Macs and the school system gave her a Dell because it would do the same thing as a Mac. She got hold of a Mac and now nobody will even use the Dell -- it gathers dust. The Mac is much easier to use for the kind of movie production which she wants to use.
MicroSoft Windows needs updates and security patches very frequently. In earlier OSs Apple had little of this but with the UNIX based OS X there have been some updates and a few security fixes. When you have them the ones for the Mac are much easier to download and install.
Macs are like the Energizer Bunny-- they go and go and go. The Mac I am using was purchased in June 1977 and has had only one repair when a fan went out. This is normal for Macs.
Interestingly MicroSoft software for the Mac, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Entourage in Office X are (in my opinion) easier to use than the ones in Windows. The Office X for OS X is very good."
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the help, I'll read the article try whatever that entails if that doesnt work I'll stick the disc in and uninstall.

Quoted Text

Love love love apples. If only I had the money, and the time to use it (I leave in less than a month!)
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
Well, none of that seemed to work.

Solution:
call dad at work haha
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:01 PM UTC
I installed the Add Remove Pro software on my computer and it will remove any software program even if you are not able to with windows.

Here is a link to the download.
http://www.shareup.com/Add-Remove_Pro-download-11835.html
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
Wahoo, done, thanks Animal.

@ Don- Do you have an apple desktop or notebook? or both :-)
I've used the IBOOKS on several occasions during school and loved what we did with them.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC
Thanks as well, I will have to give it a try too