_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
EBAY!!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
hola, I was checking ebay and found a Tamiya JagdPanther late version, for 20 bucks check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1712393879
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC
The last 4 models I have got have been from e-bay. I personaly don't bid unless its half price or less. The main thing I have learned to watch for is shipping costs. I saw an auction where a nice model was only $1.00 but they wanted $15 to ship it. I had never bought a model off e-bay until I started using this site and got the advice to try it. Thanks for helping me save money! :-)
KMM
Visit this Community
entire network: 91 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 12:10 PM UTC
I've found it kind of tough to get a deal on models from e-bay. For some reason, most people bid them up to as much, if not more, than they would if they bought it from a store or online. I have to admit, I did this once - I bid a Tamiya Panther G Early up to $35 + shipping, because one hobby shop in town had it for $50. Unfortunately another hobby shop had it for only $40. Still, I got a good deal on an out of production Tamiya PzIIIN. And, tonight I got a good deal on a reproduction cavalry sabre to go with my reproduction civil war pistol. So I guess it all balances out in the end.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 01:08 PM UTC
Its not easy to find good deals on e-bay. My secret is to open up a second browser with an online model store. When I see something I like on e-bay I search for the same model in the online store and if it isn't 1/2 price (compared to online store) I just move on. The thing with e-bay you have to remember is the extra costs (shipping, having to go to the bank and get a money order, pay-pal fees, etc.) sometimes the cost of the item is much less than the rest of the fees involved. I have a lot of extra time right being on medical leave from work so its easy for me to really search things out. I would agree that most deals arn't worth the extra trouble involved with e-bay purchases but there are some few and fer bewtween.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:32 PM UTC
Don't forget that another one will always come along. Most people get seized by the moment and want to win at any cost. That's why you have readily available kits going for as much if not more than their shelf price.

Just to add to the above advice provided by this august body, I usually do a search for like items on the web as well as in eBay itself. One's always up there cheaper. Watch out for auctions with bidders with low (less than 100) feedback. They're the relative newbies and will get caught up to the win at any cost. Also there are a few out there who don't quite understand just how eBay works. Case in point, I bid on the VHS tape "The Beast" and after watching no one second bid me for the better part of a week, a newbie pushed the price up to over $8 (from $1.99). At the same time this bidder also pushed the price of three others I was only "watching" up to around the $8 mark.

When the first one ended and he won, I pushed his other auctions up to what his first ending price was near. He ended up winning all three for over $8 (I assumed he used the same max bid on all 3 auctions). I figured he didn't know how eBay worked.

Another few were posted and I bid on one for $2.99.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Its not easy to find good deals on e-bay. My secret is to open up a second browser with an online model store. When I see something I like on e-bay I search for the same model in the online store and if it isn't 1/2 price (compared to online store) I just move on. The thing with e-bay you have to remember is the extra costs (shipping, having to go to the bank and get a money order, pay-pal fees, etc.) sometimes the cost of the item is much less than the rest of the fees involved. I have a lot of extra time right being on medical leave from work so its easy for me to really search things out. I would agree that most deals arn't worth the extra trouble involved with e-bay purchases but there are some few and fer bewtween.

Sounds like good technique Andrew Which other modeling site do you generally use on the other browser??

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
Well, as one of those relative newbies (with less than 100 auction wins) my advice might seem novice. Simply bid on what you feel the value of the kit is that you're seeking. All the above advice is good, but remember to watch out for "snipers" - i.e. relative veterans on the site (with more than 100 wins) who's sport is to drive up the bid on an item for whatever purpose they choose to do. I set my bid for the maximum amount I'm willing to pay for an item, as I've already gone shopping elsewhere, and then I turn away. If another bidder wants it more - then they can pay more, but I don't engage in bidding wars.

Items do come back into the pool after sometime, and it is easy to get caught by a sniper. The willingness to walk away from a bid war is what keeps my auction win total low - it isn't about how many wins you get under your belt - it's about getting an item you want at a price your willing to accept.

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
I always look for the old Star Wars models on ebay, as you can't get them hardly anywhere else. For armor, I stick to the webstores and local places. The only thing is, for the Alien models on Ebay get rediculous prices. They'll usually start out at around $20 and end around $45... Unfortunately the seller knows this and will jack up the 'buy it now' price to $60 because no one will pay that much if they can get it for less!!! Grrrr!!!

YodaMan
'Stressful, ebay can be.'
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, as one of those relative newbies (with less than 100 auction wins) my advice might seem novice. Simply bid on what you feel the value of the kit is that you're seeking. All the above advice is good, but remember to watch out for "snipers" - i.e. relative veterans on the site (with more than 100 wins) who's sport is to drive up the bid on an item for whatever purpose they choose to do. I set my bid for the maximum amount I'm willing to pay for an item, as I've already gone shopping elsewhere, and then I turn away. If another bidder wants it more - then they can pay more, but I don't engage in bidding wars.

Items do come back into the pool after sometime, and it is easy to get caught by a sniper. The willingness to walk away from a bid war is what keeps my auction win total low - it isn't about how many wins you get under your belt - it's about getting an item you want at a price your willing to accept.

Gunnie

Good advice Gunnie. In my case, I didn't want to pay more than $8 for the movie (former rentals) + shipping. That would put it into the $12+ range and for $15-20 I could get it brand new. Once I bid $8 on the movie, the newbie was still the high bidder so I went to the next one. Then I would bid on that one and he again was the high bidder at $8 and change. And so on. I did not drive his bid up as sport. I bid the maximum amount I was willing to pay (as you also suggest) and moved on to another auction once the bid went above my max.

Eventually he stopped bidding on other ones since he already won a few, and I was able to bid on one for $2.99. Had he bid smart (he & I were about the only 2 bidding on these things), he would have won one of the movies at about $5 and I would have won one too for the same amount (+shipping). Instead, he bid over $8 on three of them, priced all of them out of my range and ended up winning all three for over $8 each.

Of course, he may have just wanted 3 former rental movies of the same movie.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like good technique Andrew Which other modeling site do you generally use on the other browser??

I usually check squadron and greatmodels.com to check for prices. Some of the models are out of production so you can't find a price for them.

Quoted Text

I set my bid for the maximum amount I'm willing to pay for an item, as I've already gone shopping elsewhere, and then I turn away. If another bidder wants it more - then they can pay more, but I don't engage in bidding wars.

I fully agree and do this myself. I usually wait until the auction is near ending then put in the price I am willing to pay and walk away. If you sit and watch it emotions will get you to pay just a little more, then just a little more.......
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC
Snipe, yes I do. I bid my max amount with a few seconds left if I can. I think if you have a bid out there there will always be someone who will push it up for "sport", or just be willing to pay more to have the "win".

I resently lost out on a full sized tripod. The guy bid on it in the last few seconds after I'd sat on it for over a week.

I've come to like the buy it now feature. Factor in the shipping then it a go or nogo.

Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 10:37 AM UTC
There's also something else I've learned on eBay - besides sniping - it is to check the feedback on the sellers. I do shy away from sellers with a lot of negative commentary, it helps to avoid bad transactions down the road.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP