_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Optivisor advice
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
As I turned 40 this year, I noticed my up-close detail eye sight is becoming not so great. Not bad enough to require bi-focal lenses in my glasses, but I am guessing that is coming in the next few years. So, now I would like to get a visual aiding device such as an Optivisor for model work.

Can anyone recommend a good model (good initial magnification, any accessories, etc...) of this device to start out with. Or, if there are any good alternatives, I would like to hear about them as well.

Thanks!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC
My personal preference is to use one of those long hinged arm lamps with a magnifying glass.
Lamp link

I like being able to move it and then use it if necessary without putting something on me. For me it's easier to 'put away'.

Just my two cents worth.
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC
David,
Like Scott I use the DayLight swing arm magnifier. I have two, one at 3 diopter and one at 5 diopter with a 8 diopter lens if I need it. BUT I also use a 5 diopter Optivisor with the Quasar light kit. Both are great for close up work. I mainly use the DayLights for removing flash and mold lines from parts. I find the Optivisor best for working with photo etch burr cleaning and assembly. The Optivisor with the light also eliminates shadows in recessed areas of assemblies.

Price:
Optivisor - 32.00
Quasar - 25.00

DayLight - 90.00 (Purchased at AC Moore with 40% off coupon)

Don
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC
I use this, and find it works fine for me... Harbor Freight magnifier .

Mike

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 04:13 AM UTC
I know thread is a few days old, but.......... I've got both types of magnifiers mentioned here and I found that the while the single lensed type works for assmebly, I cannot use it to paint small details. I have no depth perception looking through the single lens, while the doulbe lens type does not interfere with depth perception.

I know it doesn't sound like a problem, but when you are painting eyeballs or collar insignia, depth perception matters. Just an FYI.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP