Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Box art?
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
How many of you have once or more bought a kit just for the artwork on the box? And how many gets flashbacks to childhood by seeing an old Airfix or so?

:-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC
As some one who majored in art, I can honestly say, I still love box art, and a kit with great box art will usually find it's way into the stash, especially if I have an interest in the subject.
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 05:50 AM UTC
Ah yes and some of the worst kits had the best box art. I still have some of thse jewels.
Aurora in my opinion had some of the best box art of the 50's & 60's. Those old WWI biplanes were terrific, and yes I still have a bunch of those jewels as well. The dogfights were plentiful.
Great memories!
Gary
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:34 AM UTC
...on several occasions i was tempted to buy dragon kits due to ron volstad's great boxtop artwork..... nice ones ron!
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:58 AM UTC
Yep the box art always sold me. I also cut &save the box tops. Someday I want to wall paper the wall with all what I have. I think that would look great.

Joe
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How many of you have once or more bought a kit just for the artwork on the box? And how many gets flashbacks to childhood by seeing an old Airfix or so?

:-)

I'm partial to Tamiya box art. My first armor kit, the Tamiya FLAK 36/37 was purchased because of the box art, some 23 years ago!

I've never cared for Dragon's box art at all, even though I know a lot of people really go gaga over it. I've never been tempted by a Dragon kit because of the box art.

I can remember back when Testors used to box Italeri kits - they just put a color photo of the finished model on the box, sitting on a workbench. I kinda liked that approach too.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC
While i never bought any for hte boxes, Hasegawa had a series of beautiful boxes in the early 90's.the stuff was good enough that the artist actually signed the piece. IIRC, there was a book released of tiese action aircraft paintings.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 07:25 PM UTC
Mnay times a kit has come to my attention because of the box art and has lead me to purchase the kit. Mr. Volstad's box art is amazing!! But what happenned with the DML Panzer IV D & E kit box art??? To me it lacks the "eye catching" aspect that say the DML Tiger I late has.

Darryl
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC
AAAHHH Airfix kits.

I'm still tempted by the HMS victory - however it is still a way bad kit, and i've bought and failed to finish it 3 times due to the terrible quality - but one day who knows - i may just have to splash out on it again :-)

Andy