_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
On Line Stores
Gastel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 59 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 07:03 PM UTC
Gday All,
I know this topic has been discussed before but it doesn't hurt to get new info.
I was wondering if anyone has any reliable online stores they regularly use.
I had one in Malaysia but they have moved to Canada and the prices have doubled, as has the postage. Ebay seems to have dried up in OZ also.

Cheers
Alex H
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hey Alex, the online store I use most of the time is Hobby Easy [urlhttp://www.hobbyeasy.com/Home.do?status=yes[/url] their service is excellent and so are their prices. A lot of the guys at IPMS also swear by RainbowTen [urlhttp://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/ [/url] but I have never used them myself.

Of course you have the usual Great Models & Squadron from the US as well as Hannants from the UK but you will pay more.

Cheers
aaronpegram
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 02:33 PM UTC
The only thing i have notices with HobbyEasy is the shipping. The exchange rate of HKD to AUS is really great, but because postage is paid by weight, its just as good if you buy in Australia.

Having said that, HobbyEasy is great for all those hard to find kits, and is the arch nemesis of my poor old Credit card.

A.
rommel93
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 169 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
What about Hobby HQ
I have never used them but look at the prices!!!
http://www.tamiya-direct.com/welcome.php
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 07:18 AM UTC
Ive tried a couple.
Squadron are reliable but youll find yourself either paying more or the same amount as you would in stores for a kit, plus postage, so really a bit more.
Greatmodels i would stay away from, they are unreliable, and the one time i ordered off them they stuffed me around an extrodinarily amount and in the end basically ripped me off, but thats just my experience.
However the two i stand by are www.luckymodel.com and www.hobbyeasy.com, the kits are pretty much always half price of what you'd pay for them here in aus, shipping is dirt cheap, and they both carry nearly everything you could want, their customer service is second to none as well, i one was concerned at an order i made, sent them an e-mail with my question, no more than 5 minutes later i got a response, and they continued to corrispond with me at the same speed.
Cheers, hope it helps
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC
Agree with everything you say about Hobby Easy David, I think they are excellent and they are now my prime online hobby store. As an example I can got the Tamiya Dornier Do 335 for $40 Aus (including shipping). The LHS wanted $78 for the same kit.

I have only ever had one small issue with an order and Daniel from Hobby Easy answered it straight away and the whole thing was settled on the spot. It's also really nice that they are basically in our time zone and well, rather than being 16 hours in front or behind us. It makes contacting them a whole lot easier.

Cheers
Darren

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:55 AM UTC
Yep, Dan was who i dealt with mostly, also a lady once she was equally good.
The prices really are what gets me, heres my best example, Trumpeters 1:32 P-40 with Photoetch and resin parts (cockpit etc..), was going for $180 Australian at the hobby shops around me, went on hobby easy, 28 dollars with postage!!!
It's ridiculous, but i'm not complaining
Cheers
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 01:44 PM UTC
G'day Ozzies

Seeing this topic made me wonder... I'm curious about the cost of scale modelling in Oz.

Firsly, would you term it a "luxury pastime"? I.e. would you classify this as an expensive hobby? If you compare it to your monthly income or what you send on other luxury items or even day-to-day living expenses? (Hope that makes sense)

Then, how much cheaper is it to buy your goodies from the likes of LuckyModel and HobbyEasy? Here in SA it's 50-75% (including postage) when buying from Hong Kong... If I buy from the UK or the States I save 20-40%

Thanks lads,

Rudi
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

would you term it a "luxury pastime"?

Personally it's a big luxury. Having fairly recently turned to scratchbuilding, the cost of raw materials adds up pretty quickly.

IMO, the cost of quality kits here can also be prohibitively expensive.
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hey Rudi,

First let me confess to being a complete spaz. When you mention SA in your post I thought you were talking about the discounts you get in South Australia

As for a luxury pastime, well personally for me it's not provided I stay within my modeling budget, although I don't usually go nuts on AM track sets or resin cockpits. Modeling is my only real hobby and my family at least tolerate it although they refuse to buy me kits for xmas or birthday as they have this insane notion that I have too many already :-) :-) :-)

Savings wise (depending on the kit) I think the discounts I get are pretty much the same as you.

Cheers
Darren

wizard179
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hi Alex

Locally, I have used Hobby HQ, Snowy Mountains Models and Frontline Hobbies and have had excellent service from all of them. I believe Snowy Mountains can also supply from the Hannants catalogue.

Internationally, I've only used Hannants and generally only for flat things like decals and photoetch. I don't tend to buy kits outside of Australia, especially not from US stores, because the shipping nearly always outweighs any savings...

A caution.. there is an Australian store called Sandle hobbies, they have a good range of things listed on the webpage, which they order from the supplier when you order . They are lovely, friendly people and have never ripped me off ... BUT they are shocking retailers. They always seem to have a family crisis going on, which prevents them from responding to mails and answering phone calls. In fact the only time they have answered the phone when I rang, was twice when I was leaving a messages expressing how dissatisfied I was and requesting they cancel my order. This they did with no problem and apologised profusely.

Cheers
Wiz
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A caution.. there is an Australian store called Sandle hobbies, they have a good range of things listed on the webpage, which they order from the supplier when you order . They are lovely, friendly people and have never ripped me off ... BUT they are shocking retailers. They always seem to have a family crisis going on, which prevents them from responding to mails and answering phone calls. In fact the only time they have answered the phone when I rang, was twice when I was leaving a messages expressing how dissatisfied I was and requesting they cancel my order. This they did with no problem and apologised profusely.

You too, the last (and only) time I ordered from them I had the exact same experience. Very friendly people but incredibly long delays which were put down to a sickness in the family.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC
Rudi, i myself find the hobby to be incredibly expensive here, however it's only expensive if you wish to go through local hobby stores, as i mentioned when going through such webstores as luckymodel and hobbyeasy, the prices of what i would buy in shops have never dropped from 50% off, in cases ive even found myself buying at prices of 80-90% off, it's incredible, and since buying from them for the first time a year ago or so, i haven't walked back into a hobby shop since.
No wait i lie, just the other day i was in Melbourne walking back to flinders street station from defence force recruiting and i passed the Victorian Hobby Centre, and just had to go in, and i admit there is a little something to walking around, picking up kit boxes, and browsing at your leisure that you dont get from online stores, needless to say i didn't walk out empty handed :-) but who does after they go to a hobby shop!
Cheers
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just recently ordered some stuff from them. I hope I have good luck with them.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 06:41 PM UTC
Thanks lads,

Sounds like we're all in the same boat...

Rudi
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Ozzies

Seeing this topic made me wonder... I'm curious about the cost of scale modelling in Oz.

Firsly, would you term it a "luxury pastime"? I.e. would you classify this as an expensive hobby? If you compare it to your monthly income or what you send on other luxury items or even day-to-day living expenses? (Hope that makes sense)

Then, how much cheaper is it to buy your goodies from the likes of LuckyModel and HobbyEasy? Here in SA it's 50-75% (including postage) when buying from Hong Kong... If I buy from the UK or the States I save 20-40%

Thanks lads,

Rudi

Rudi, on some things it is close and others very different. The AFV Club Cent was a bout $30 US from LM and I picked mine up from them and also locally from Avenue Hobbies (Syd) for $45 Aussie. About the same when you add postage.

The Tamiya Char B was $80 local (only seen it in one place) and $38US from LM.
Average local prices here are: $55-60 DML; 45-60 AFV, 60-80 New Tamiya and 40-60 New Italeri
DML figs about $15 for 4 20-25 for 6
Cheers
Al
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC
I personally use Luckymodels as an OS supplier and a couple of Locals in Albury Hobby Centre run by James Blackwell a well known Armour Modeller. I also use Avenue Hobies in Sydney (usually in the flesh. Their Websites are nothing flash but they have good ranges and particularly Avenue has a lot of good Aftermarket. Avenue has good discounted prices on new releases (at least by local pricing). The AFV Club cent was $45 for example.

I have used Hobby HQ, NKR and Frontline to my satisfaction in the past. In fact for Eastern European stuff you'd be hard pressed to beat Earl at NKR.
Cheers
AL
Donald
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 06:03 PM UTC
For an Australian retailer, I can only say good stuff about South East Hobbies. For instance, I spotted something on a Polish web site that I wanted but didn't fancy sending them my credit card details - sent an email to SEH and they supplied the part within a few days.
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 03:44 PM UTC
I'd have to echo this about SEH. I've purchase very few items via post from Andrew but the experience was a good one. I will be purchasing from Andrew in the near future. He's prompt and honest about what he can / can't get and in what time frame.

Cheers
29Foxtrot
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 708 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 06:23 PM UTC
This has some very interesting posts about the on-line stores question.

Snowy Mountain Models however have problems with some of the lines they carry, as they supplied by either Hannants or Squadron for the neccessaties, the decals are all from the Manufactures.
But the kits are fron Hobby Easy or their Second Hand Range.

Hobby Easy offer a discount on multiple kit purchases and the orders are recieved within days, I use a lot of different sites personaly for my model kits and supplies.

Their are a lot of on-line stores or even Hobby Shops around Oz that will do Mail Order, but model paints are the problem in postage, regardless of what type, they are classed as hazardous material and for Road Transport Only.

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Their are a lot of on-line stores or even Hobby Shops around Oz that will do Mail Order, but model paints are the problem in postage, regardless of what type, they are classed as hazardous material and for Road Transport Only.

I use Albury Hobby Centre for Paints and stuff when I can't get them locally (for some reason you cannot buy Gunze Spray Matt lacquer in Sydney at the moment - or Gunze rust - anywhere).
James sent me the parcel which arrived in 2 days no fuss. Avenue in Sydney offer excellent pricing on new releases and good postage costs. Their DML and New release stuff was 20% below any other Sydney supplier. I just purchase the new DML Thunderbolt for $46 Aus.
Frontline are reliable mailorder and have a good range. If you have ever seen Frontline in the flesh you'll understand why. I have never seen so many kits in one place!
Cheers
Al
jejb_71
Visit this Community
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 07:25 AM UTC
I have been using Luckymodel.com for the past 2 years and have found them excellent to deal with. I have had a couple of problems with orders (wrong kit one time but nothing to drastic ) but they have fixed any issues in a very professional and timely manner.

Hobbyeasy.com is also very good but I have not used them extensively.

Locally - These are all very good

Firestormmodels.com
South East Hobbies.com
NKRmodels.com
Frontlinehobbeis.com
HobbyHQ.com

Like the others have mentioned Sandle Hobbies can be painfull to deal with. I have only dealt with them twice and that was enough to not go back again. I'm sure they are nice people and mean well but business wise they leave a lot be desired.

wizard179
Visit this Community
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 02:49 PM UTC
I previously left Avenue Hobbies off the list by accident. They are great people and they are keeping their internet page regularly updated now.

Since my last post I have also dealt with Firestorm and South East Hobbies and my experience with these companies has been great too. I saw a special on the Firestorm website on a Sat or Sun at about 9pm. I sent a mail expexcting to get a reply within a day or 2, instead I got a response straight away and pretty much had the order at my door by Thursday.
FLASH
Visit this Community
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:03 PM UTC
Alex,
if you are still after a great online store try Firestorm. Oz supplier and very reliable.

Cheers
Lee
 _GOTOTOP