_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Sea Fury Finished Pics
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 05:54 PM UTC
Hi all.
Suez Campaign Sea Fury all finished.

First time Ive attempted anything as battered and weathered as this and it was a lot of fun knocking it about.
Comments and advice for future builds welcome.
Nige
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:05 PM UTC
Nige - Thats really good. I like the weathering on it. Great use of Alclad.

Ross
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:27 AM UTC
Nice dirty bird you have there Nige :-) .

Quoted Text

First time Ive attempted anything as battered and weathered as this and it was a lot of fun knocking it about.

There's nothing like beating up a model with some weathering, especially targets :-) .
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 01:15 AM UTC
Nige, this looks really good and you are definately on the way up, again. It looked good in a pristine condition but your weathering makes it look more realistic which,of course, is th whole idea behind weathering.
Just a couple of things, not critisicm but, hopefully, a liitle help
The cockpit canopy stands out as being to clean, not the clear areas, but the frames. I noticed that you did these seperately to the airframe, which usually means that they aren't weathered or are weathered differentially to the rest of the model. Masking, painting and weathering the frames presents it's own set of problems, mainly that the masking is on too long. This is, probably, the main reason that I use Parafilm-M, no sticky residue. Of course if I would finish a model that I start then the masking wouldn't stay on for a year
I think that the Exhaust stains are a little overdone, but considering the scale they are not too bad Most aircraft have very distinctive exhaust staining and it's one area that I am striving to improve. Are they dry brushed?
I particularly like the painted on stripes as, although they look easy, getting the thin green band takes patience and care, very well done mate. The fact that you have actually weathered over the decals is a real bonus. Many modellers who write for magazines shy away from doing this and, to me, it can't be right to not weather markings. By doing it the markings look like they belong, even when the wash doesn't seem to want to stay put in panel lines under them The main reason for this is that the decal is making the panel line shallower but there are several ways around this. Use a "sludge" wash, in those areas ( a thicker wash, left on over night. It will dry and will require a dab of thinners to remove the excess). Slice through the decal, after the "Set" is dry but before you add the "Sol", or gently run a wooden cocktail stick along the line, over the decal, before applying the "Sol". None of these methods are foolproof but can be worth a go. On the Tempest I am building I have actually gone around all of the panel lines with an Olfa "P" cutter, to deepen them to pre-empt the problem.
Another Stunna, Nige, what's next
Mal
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 01:27 AM UTC
and you worry about a piffling tiger moth! :-)
thats a nice looking model you have there mate, but i have been loking for the green stripes you were asking about, and i only just noticed where they are, on the edges of the white stripes. thats some nice neat work on those!
now question time.......
how did you decide which panels would be different shades? its something i always forget to ask the builders of nmf machines
lampie
Visit this Community
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the great comments and advice guys.
It certainly helps knowing that hopefully Im on the right track and I definately feel Im getting somewhere with every build.
Ive redone the exhaust stains and they look a lot better ( I think).
Mal.
Although I sprayed the mist of buff on while the canopy was masked and attached it didnt take the buff as well as everything else.Maybe dry brushing some buff on will do the trick?
The moulded panel lines were not very even,which I only found out when I applied the wash.Cant believe how many washes it took before it started to work out,but finally Ive managed a wash that Im quite pleased with.Must pick up a rescriber at Doncaster.
Phil.
I just picked panels that were easy to mask and did opposite sides
On some panels I added a drop of black to the Alclad as well.
Next "stunna"*hardly,,lol),,,well,,,Im messing about with the Camel,,lmao.
Ive got a Hurricane on the go, but Im seriously contemplating doing Airfix Spit #3!!!,,I can see a couple of things I want to try on the old Airfix kit. Did I do OK on #2 Mal?
Trying to attach another ariel wire to #2 tonight as I wasnt happy with the old one,,and each time is refuses to attach I just look at the Camel and snarl,,,LOL.
Nige
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 12:50 AM UTC
nige, if you're using fishing line for your aerials, check out these pics, that show how i deal with this sort of thing. a clothes peg can be substituted for the forceps i use, just as long as it holds the line, a little dab of superglue to hold it, then leave overnight

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I sprayed the mist of buff on while the canopy was masked and attached it didnt take the buff as well as everything else.Maybe dry brushing some buff on will do the trick?

Mmmm, then I guess the reason is that you didn't spray the internal canopy colour first? Apart from giving you the internal colour, when looking inside it also helps the paint become opaque. The reason that the canopy frames look different is that light is shinning through the clear plastic, making the paint (Allclad) appear lighter

Quoted Text

Did I do OK on #2 Mal?

Yes great stuff Nige, did I not comment? I'll have another look. If Someone is looking for constructive comments I usually take a few looks over a couple of days before saying owt. Mainly to make sure what I say is actually constructive and not destructive. Of course it's easier when you know someone I guess I forgot to get back to your Spit, how dare I
Mal
 _GOTOTOP