TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
"Wing and a prayer"
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
Has anyone of you seen this film? Anyone that has a clue of the name of this aircraft carrier? All that i can tell is that it's an Essex class carrier. It's filmed in 1944.
Even though it's a wee bit off with the wrong class of carrier, the Hellcats and too many Avenger's, supposed to be about the battle of Midway, it's a good one.....
Another thing though, I saw that torpedo when dropped and when it went into the sea it sometimes came back up again, at least a coupe of times I noticed it....was this common with the Mark 13 torpedo??
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone of you seen this film? Anyone that has a clue of the name of this aircraft carrier? All that i can tell is that it's an Essex class carrier. It's filmed in 1944.
Even though it's a wee bit off with the wrong class of carrier, the Hellcats and too many Avenger's, supposed to be about the battle of Midway, it's a good one.....
Another thing though, I saw that torpedo when dropped and when it went into the sea it sometimes came back up again, at least a coupe of times I noticed it....was this common with the Mark 13 torpedo??

I have not seen this movie but I think its a bit strong to gripe about a movie that was made in 1944 - while the war was going on - using the wrong class of aircraft carrier.
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
Point taken Mark.....my apologies. I didn't mean in the way it sounded....sorry.
It's still a very good film with a lot of deck action, don't see that often enough.

SmileyCentral.com
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 5,422 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hey Jan. I have this movie in my library. I can't find anything on which carrier it was filmed on, but here is a web site with some interesting info.

Wing And A Prayer

While you are correct on the lack of TBFs on carriers at Midway, please remember that the other half of Torpedo 8 returned only one plane to Midway after their attack. They were flying TBFs. They got their TBFs and made it to Hawaii just after the Hornet had sailed. They were part of the land based build up ordered by Nimitz. Ironic that both sections of Torp 8 both lost all but one pilot immediately following the attack. The TBF pilot died in his aircraft after landing back at Midway.

Kenny