_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Perentie 6x6 land rover
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 10:36 AM UTC
I am trying to find as much information about the 6x6 land rover Perentie as used by the Aus army/air force to build one. I am hoping someone can provide my with some images or specs of the bare chassis. I have one from the net but its low res and from a not very good angle,a nd have a bit of overall vehicle details, dimensions etc.

Also have a few hi-res images of the vehicle, but with the flat tray on, the chassis itself is not real visible. So far I only really know its made from 75mm galvanised box tubing.

One of many ambitious projects I have in mind. Since there seem to be no Land rover defender 110s in 1/35, I am going with a Rover 7 as the initial starting point and modding from there. The other nearest vehicle is the Land Rover XD Wolf(?) from Accurate Armour, which seems to be a british 4x mil mod of the Defender, but it's an expensive kit to be destroying and rebuilding in a totally different config.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 04:00 PM UTC
Accurate Armour has several Landies in 1/35. You wouldn't really have to destroy it, would you? just stretch it in places.

I have some pix at home of the 6x6, but not sure if there are any chassis pix. I'll have to check.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Be carefull, the cab of the Perentie is wider and higher then a standard Defender cab.

Gr
Marcel

Knew that based on the few things I read. Basic mods to the cab aren't really going to be a problem. It's the chassis/tray mount that is giving me probs.

Quoted Text

You wouldn't really have to destroy it, would you? just stretch it in places.

Yes and no. The basic bonnet/front end seems the similar enough (different grill from what I'v seen) but it would mean removing the rear bodywork entirely (except in the case of the SASr version just a bikt of lengthening and modding) and building the rear chassis from scratch to suit the trray version. and the equivelant of AU$90-100 is a little bit expensive when you factor in the addition of scratchbuild materials. If it werent for cost plus postage I would consifer the AA version to be the perfect starting point.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:09 PM UTC
Out of curiosity I tried to find the Historica ar110. Only place I could find it was an online store in the Ntherlands. Trying to register on their website proved to be difficult when the registration system refused to accept my postcode as being valid.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 01:45 PM UTC
Bit of an update on this project.

Fired off an email to the company in question mentioning the fact their website refused my postcode not expecting much response.

They got back to me within about half an hour (I was up late) , and 3 or 4 emails later (with them and their webmaster) they input my details for me and I was able to order tne AR110 with no problems. Thats good service right there. Mol Plastic Modelbouw

The model arrived today, and I also managed to get some scale drawings of the SASr Long Rang Patrol Vehicle from an aussie source which will help with general dimensions and wheel alignment, so I am acouple of steps closer to being able to start. The LRPV is also the other 6x6 I wanted to model.

Still no luck with the chassis info I need though.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 02:25 PM UTC
Ola Pave Hawk

Well can't help you much on the Landrover thingy but the online shop Mol is probably one of the best in it's kind. Living in Netherland this is about one of my primary sources to get the stuff that I can't get in the LHS's here. Next to that the service is astonishing good and They ship very fast. usually when I buy something here I receive the package in the next 2 days. Now that is good speed.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
IanHort
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
if you are still interested in doing this project Iown an exmilitary Perentie, which I bought last summer. It is indeed made of 75mm box section and i have a poor photocopy of the original blue prints for the chassis, unfortunately no measurements as the copy is that poor. i can get you any info you want off mine. please do be aware that the cab is very different, the window is huge and 20cm wider than the standard landrover. therefore the bonnet is also wider. its box section chassis runs even into the engine bay so in fact no part of the chassis is the same as a "normal" landrover. the doors are standard but there is also a small window behind the doors and just below a filler cap on each side feeding the twin tanks that are standard 90" parts. the axles are wider running twin sailsburys at the back and a specially made rover heavy duty axle at the front. the power to the third axle comes from the pto on the gearbox and goes through 2 propshafts over the 2nd axle.
any pictures you want i can supply.
Good luck with this rather ambitious project, i would love to see some pics when your done.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:18 AM UTC
I am actually in the process of building it as part of the ACUTR scratchbuilding campaign. Almost current progress can be seen HERE

If you have blueprints, and could get me a copy I would be enormously grateful. Even without measurements they may prove helpful. I assume you have the cargo version?
The SASR version is built on a slightly different chassis, I assume because the rear section required slightly different mounting points so they didn't have to compromise design just to make it fit. The cargo chassis as far as I can determine is common to all other variants of the 6x, ie. ambulance, mobile workshop, etc.

I have managed to roughly figure out the dimensions of most of the chassis parts, but anything that might help out with how it all goes together is highly prized.

I also have a few engine pics, but short of pulling one right out and going nuts with the camera to get every nuance, I don't know if scratchbuilding an engine will be within my skills.
 _GOTOTOP