_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Next up for the MOM, hopefully.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
My Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito with Aires resin cockpit, the online build of which can be found HERE
These pics show where I'm up to, I have just painted the metal parts with Allclad II "Aluminium" and tomorrow, hopefully I will paint the undersurface Medium Sea Grey. I'm hoping that the metallic painted areas will show up differentially from the primered areas, giving a nice metal and wood painted look. I will also be able to "weather" the metal areas back to bare metal, in a few selected places.
I had intended to paint the markings on this, but If I do that I don't think I'll have it ready for the August MOM. However I do intend to paint the codes, as the shade of Sky is wrong.

Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
This Alclad primer technique is catching
Give you a quid if you put the Sabre in instead :-) :-)
Looking forward to seeing this at Doncaster
Nige
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC
That's looking rather nice, and an interesting metal and wood technique that i will be watching closely and nicking :-) .
So i best not bother entering anything then .
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This Alclad primer technique is catching

Yep, but I had planned on doing it this way since starting the project and I have discussed it before, but I would still credit Rowan with this technique as he was the first to showcase it. I did plan on painting the wooden parts in primer but I'm not 100% sure of the colour, plus all pictures I have of the Mossie show very little, if any, ware on the wooden areas. As the idea is to "weather" back to the underlying finish, and I will, probably, not be doing this, on the wooden areas, it would be a waste of time. I'm hoping though, as I said, that by painting the metal areas the overlying paint is effected to show the difference.

Quoted Text

Give you a quid if you put the Sabre in instead

Very tempting as I now don't even have the funds for food and accomodation at Telford, since making the most of some available 1/24 scale kits

Quoted Text

Looking forward to seeing this at Doncaster

The last time I took this to Doncaster one of the undercarriage assemblies got bust, which is the reason this went on hold for so long In my "new found frenzy" of finishing kits for the MOM I fixed it. Isn't it odd the sort of little thing that can throw you off track, it was like an excuse to stop? I think I was so pissed off at breaking it that I got in a paddy (not so you'd notice and I don't do paddies) but it was odd that I reckonised the breakage as the thing that lost me the motivation. It's similar with the Lysander, I know axactly why that has stalled, the paint coming off the canopy, when I removed the masking tape and then standing on part of it when trying to fix it I am planning on repairing the damage and entering that into the September MOM. The same senario will continue for the October MOM and beyond. That is my hope anyway, as I now see a way to clear my backlog I am keeping my D.VII in case I fail to get a "backlogger" finished for any MOM. Don't knock it, it's a plan and you know what they say, "any plan is a good one, just have a plan"

Quoted Text

That's looking rather nice, and an interesting metal and wood technique that i will be watching closely and nicking

Go right ahead

Quoted Text

So i best not bother entering anything then

And why would that be? You best had, we need you to make up the numbers :-) and you are a past winner, so you have to enter every month
Another reason for the plan to paint on the markings, apart from the codes not being a good colour, and the desire to "have a go", is that the fuselage roundels areout of alignment. I have aftermarket roundels so I will be, now, using them.
Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 01:33 PM UTC
Nice to see you finishing stuff Mal I must say.And from previous posts it seems like you have plenty of part finished projects that should come along quite quickly. An all out effort for a "Harricature" methinks:)

Quoted Text

So i best not bother entering anything then

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And why would that be? You best had, we need you to make up the numbers and you are a past winner, so you have to enter every month

I agree Andy. Youve posted a couple of finished projects lately that are real contenders for MOM.
Seeing as how my last Spit only took me a week,I reckon I can knock quite a few together in different AM decals quite quickly,,lol. Is there a prize for entering a different variation of the same kit every month for a year? :-)
Should be quite a MOM next month,and the month after,,in fact, every month its getting tougher and tougher,which is certainly not a bad thing.
Nige
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 06:59 PM UTC
this way of painting models certainly seems to be gaining a following, i'm only just getting the hang of pre shading and now this
just one question mal, what are the little circular tabs for in between those spars?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

just one question mal, what are the little circular tabs for in between those spars?

Sorry Phil, I forgot to get back to this pins go through the wings and clip into them, makes a nice strong joint
Well it's now all painted but I had real drama when adding the dark green as it didn't want to go on, probably due to the humidity. I stuck with it though as if I didn't get it painted today it wouldn't be ready for the MOM. I'm actually aiming to get it finished for the Aeroventure show, which is now just a week away. I had to go back over some parts with ocean grey, then again some of those parts with dark green again. It's not the best but it looks OK and after the usual Klear coats and oil washes it should turn out fine. My only regret is that I always planned on painting on the markings but there won't be any time for that, I have even decided that the codes are actually not a bad shade of sky I was going to cut out and spray them with sky but I don't, now, think that this is necessary.

More can be found HERE
Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:47 PM UTC
Looking good Mal.
Is the camo sprayed free-hand or did you use the blu-tac method.
can't wait to see this at the show, so get cracking on it.
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC
Yep, it's sprayed freehand, that was the problem with it being a bit too humid, I had to improvise As you can see I used blue tack to maske the underfuselage colour on the rear fuselage.
I hope to give it a couple of coats of Klear tomorrow night and paint some of the dangly bits, bombs, exhausts etc and assemble the undercarriage, including brake lines, decal Tuesday and maybe Wednesday, weather Thursday, and final assembly Friday. I really should be able to completely decal it on Tuesday so I'll, hopefully, have a bit of leeway.
Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hi Mal.
This is all coming together nicely.

Quoted Text

I have even decided that the codes are actually not a bad shade of sky I was going to cut out and spray them with sky but I don't, now, think that this is necessary.

Thats a neat idea.What exactly were you planning on doing? Im guessing youd copy the decals,(photocopy maybe),so you werent cutting the decal sheet itself incase you messed up?
Going to be great when its finished, and looking forward to seeing it at Doncaster,( more than Im looking forward to seeing it in MOM,,LOL)
Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats a neat idea.What exactly were you planning on doing?

I've done this before and it works quite well but you have to be careful not to get the decal paper too wet with paint as it might activate the glue No I wasn't goin to photo copy the decal sheet I would have simply cut out the codes, using a scalpel (you have to accurate and eliminate all of the carrier film, otherwise any carrer film left will become part of the marking). I first did this with the anti glare panel on my 1/72 F 104 and more recently on the blue nose decals on my Hurricane, because the spinner and the area these decals covered were actually red.
The Mossie is now decaled, no trauma what so ever (lying like a cheap japanese watch). I have to get it back into the spry booth, tonight, as the blue tack masking on the port side got a bit misshapen during handling and the demarkation line was cocked up. I contemplated painting by hand but, if it doesn't go well, I will have to spray it anyway, so I'm biting the bullet and using the time to spray the cordite and exhaust stains, maybe. It depends what time it is, as there is also some medium sea grey to touch up. If I do this and apply the final klear coates before tea tomorrow, allowing me to add the wash later tomorrow evening, I might just get finished for Sunday. I still intend to bring it to the Aeroventure show, finished or not, the real deadline is for the MOM.
Mal
almonkey
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 01:00 AM UTC
mal, talking about painting on markings, i have a method i have used with some success, but i only did it with straight edged german crosses (you remember my 1/48 AR234-all the crosses are sprayed on that) it should work on decals with a rounded edge though i.e. the letters B C D etc. and all you do to the decal sheet is to end up cutting out the decal REAL neatly! when i get a minute, i'll get what i'm talking about typed up as a feature and sent in (thats it - i've commited myself now!)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
Cool Phil, I'll look forward to that
Mal
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 01:31 PM UTC
Mal - where is the finished pic? You have to enter this not the sabre. Give Nige a run for his money with his Spitfire :-)

Ross
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 03:23 PM UTC
I agree Ross,,Im looking forward to seeing this in MOM,and having seen the finished Mossie at Doncaster it certainly makes a nice addition to Mals collection and I hope to see it on the stand for a long time to come.
(stick the half tracks in the corner out the way if you need more space Mal,,,LOL :-) )
As for MOM,I certainly dont build with the aim of producing competition entries,although I really enjoy the MOM and its one of the highlights of Aeroscale for me, the whole process of modelling from finding a kit and drooling over the contents of the box to placing the finished model in the display cabinet and seeing how my building is developing does it for me.
The biggest pleasure I get is taking my models along to shows and seeing them displayed with the outstanding builds from other members and earwigging on the publics comments.
Speaking of which,while walking around the Doncaster show I overheard quite a few conversations about the stand and the site in general, and was quite taken aback with peoples comments.It seems like our little stand is becoming one of the outstanding features of a show,and I am extremely proud to be a small part of it.
It good to see a late rush of entries this month after Mals post yesterday.I dread to think how many would have entered if Rowan had offered the Eduard Spit up for grabs as a prize! If I ever achieve the position of MOM winner,I hope there are entries from all the "major players" that month
but for me just being a part of it is special enough.Overused as the saying is,with MOM it really is the "taking part not the winning that counts"
Oddly enough,the model thats recieved the most votes of all my entries is one of my least favourite of the ones in the cabinet.
Nige
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 03:39 PM UTC
Nige

I have to agree with you there. If we don't build for pleasure then what is the point. I am not in this to get stressed. Actually I have only just entered my first model of the month on HF. Yesterday was great. I think having the RC tanks helped draw them to our dispay a lot I was amazed at the number of us who made the journey. Certainly made it all worth it.

Ross
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC
Finished pics Ross,

I will be completing the online build, over the next few days, as I have quite a few pictures to upload, then I will post a link, there will be more pics.
Entered in the MOM

Quoted Text

(stick the half tracks in the corner out the way if you need more space Mal,,,LOL )

:-)

Quoted Text

The biggest pleasure I get is taking my models along to shows and seeing them displayed with the outstanding builds from other members and earwigging on the publics comments.

Nige, your models are part of the outstanding stuff displayed and are, in some ways, more important than those that belong to those who have been modelling for a long time. They show what is achievable via the site/s and the information that they have to offer and, more importantly, that the members are willing to pass on the info. Of course a bit of tallent helps

Quoted Text

Speaking of which,while walking around the Doncaster show I overheard quite a few conversations about the stand and the site in general, and was quite taken aback with peoples comments.It seems like our little stand is becoming one of the outstanding features of a show,and I am extremely proud to be a small part of it.

"Things can only get better" See my comment on Vinnie's thread about the show. It is amazing that you guys travelled so far to be there. With attendences like this it won't be long before we are being "requested" to attend shows.

Quoted Text

I have to agree with you there. If we don't build for pleasure then what is the point. I am not in this to get stressed. Actually I have only just entered my first model of the month on HF.

Yep agree with you, I guess you will do rather well in the FMOM Ross. I hope that you will be able to attend lots of shows as we need to see figures on the stand, plus I need to be able to talk figures It was great to meet you mate, I'm sorry that we didn't get more time to chat or for you to do a proper demo, but the future looks bright

Quoted Text

was amazed at the number of us who made the journey. Certainly made it all worth it.

Yep, and I was expecting to do the show on my own It makes a big difference when we can all get to a show. Imagine what it could be like at Telford with our Internet Cafe
Mal
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 02:30 AM UTC
Mal - I will be trying to get to shows. Might make it to the nationals. I will have to see how things pan out. If e can sort out a movable stand or one easily replicated there are surpisingly quite a few done in the South West that I could try and get too. Need to find someway to transport it however. But the thought is definetly there. I am just thinking. You mentioned trying to ask someone to do one. I know Paul Thompson of Just Bases and i know he has done similar things in the past. He may be able to help. I should hopefully see him at the West Cornwall show in September I could have a wod if you want.

Ross
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC
Yes Ross transportation can be a real problem and getting to shows costs money. If I had more I wouldn't have a problem and would happily transport the stand to every show. However, for the forseeable future, the monoey situation isn't going to change and I must make Telford the priority. This is why reginal stands are, possibly the way forward.
If you have a transport problem that prevents you from attending Telford please speak up, we might be able to come up with a solution. We need as many members as possible, especially with Jim coming over
Please do talk to Paul Thompson, If he helps us out I'm sure we can find some advertising/sponsership space. You might want to mention that we are looking for sponsers for our "Internet Cafe" at Telford
Mal
 _GOTOTOP