_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
As requested Andy, my 1/72 F-86.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
This was buit a millenium ago and was my first outing into the world of NMF's. This was before Allclad and I used SNJ which is good, although I think Allclad is easier to apply, just, and you don't have to polish Allclad.
As I mentioned in my thread on the Me163 this is the model this base was designed for. This model is also before I discovered Klear, note the canopy.

Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
Nice one and thanks for posting Mal. Still looks better than my attempt and its smaller.
The only thing that does let it down is the canopy as you mentioned, but it is still a good looking Sabre.
What manufacture is it from, and is it OOB.
Will this be a future MOM entry.
Andy
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC
Very nice Mal.
I like the scheme and the weathering. Can you remember how you weathered it?
Just goes to show what a huge difference Klear makes!
Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:24 AM UTC
Andy,

Quoted Text

What manufacture is it from, and is it OOB.

I can't remember the manufacturer and yes it is OOB, nothing but back then

Quoted Text

Will this be a future MOM entry.

Mmmmm, not thought about it, but maybe a possibility, on day.
Nige,

Quoted Text

Can you remember how you weathered it?

For the differential effect on the panels I masked off individual ones and simply polished more. There are 3 levels of "shinnyness". It worked quite well, I did it that way rather than add enamel paint to tint the SNJ, as suggested. A 4th level would have given a mirror finish, which I achieved on the front section of the drop tanks on my 1/72 F-104. The SNJ is polished using the supplied polishing powder, which I believe to be the same (aluminium?) powder that phorensics use to highlight fingerprints. I've often been tempted to walk into a cop shop and ask for some
I can't remember what medium I used for the wash, but I would guess that it was enamel, I don't think I was using oil paints back then and I'm sure this was before I tried water colour. There is no clear coat to protect the decals, so they must have adhered well, the yellow bands seem to have been stripped of some of their intensity. The cordite staining, around the gun muzzles was dry brushed but it isn't very effective. Air brushing thiese back then wasn't a consideration
This is the scheme that I would like to do my Hobbycraft 1/48 Sabre in, but I've never seen decals for it. I think this was John Glen's or some other famous flyers aircraft in the Korean war.
Mal
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 07:48 PM UTC
this may be a silly question, but whats snj? also this put me in mind of a b-17 i built (the airfix "bit o lace" kit) that i brushed, only with humbrol 11! when i tried to paint on the unit markings and stripes the silver paint started working up so i had to paint a bit, leave it 24 hours then paint over again! and i painted the stripes totally freehand
aah! the good old days
 _GOTOTOP