Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Interesting Weapons
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC
OK, got to speak up for the finest battle implement ever created (not my assessment, but that of Gen. Geo. Patton), the M1 Garand. I've got three of them, all 1944 barrel dates, lock bar sights, all matching (hunted long and hard to find those). A sweeter shooting weapon I've never fired, and I've shot all my life. Even shot competitively until an injury ended that.
I also have to sing the praises of a little mentioned and much over looked U.S. battle rifle, the M1917 (sometimes called the "American Enfield"). It was actually much more common during WW 1 than the much more well known 1903 Springfield and was the rifle actually used by Sgt. York when he won the CGM. Very sweet shooting, highly accurate and rugged as a tank. Takes a little getting used to because it cocks on closing, but you get used to that quickly.
I'd also have to take up for the M16/AR15. Excellent weapon with a wicked cartridge. Even my 9 year old granddaughter can handle the recoil and you can pack a pot load of ammo.
Finally, my own personal preference for personal defense - Colt 1911A1. I was able to pick one up a few years ago made by Remington-Rand under contract during WW2. G.I. issue, all matching, mint condition, right down to the pressed fiber Keystone grips (which I took off to preserve and replaced with some faux ivory grips). Actually more accurate than my Colt 1991. A beast to carry, but for self defense you can't beat it. Reliable, put down power to spare, easy to get ammo.
What can you say, I'm old school for sure.

Bob
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 11:48 AM UTC
I've wanted a garand for years now. but we cant get guns like that any more! sucks sometimes living in australia!

I only got to fire one once, and that was only 2 rounds. Wish i had taken the time to borrow one of a mate who had a couple. To me they are great rifles. But at the time i had several SLR's, and i was having fun with them!
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hmm, I read the thread and a good think. I enjoyed firing the L96 I was fortuante enought to spend a day on the ranges and hitting the target at 1000m was a great feeling. The SLR was great fun had my smallest grouping ever with it and despite the bad press I found the SA80 able to do the job when asked, although as a Sapper I preffered the SUSAT while at Warminster.

The best ever day was had at the Infantry Smalll Arm Museum, so many small arms and so little time, the highlight..... well when everyone else went cool MP5, AK74 etc I went all weak at the knees..... MP44, big heavy but what a weapon. The whole museum has historical collection of weapons and the bog difference is that all weapons could be takne to the range and fired. No special work just add ammo and off you go. Although I couldnpt understand how a 17pdr was a 'small arm'.

Regards

Brian
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
my first rifle purchase was a russian M-44 carbine rifle. not bad..alot of kick. second rifle i bought was an enfiled no4 mk1. found it in a gun shop along with 7 others that were sitting in there on consignment (i think). they belonged to an older man that had passed. the son brought them in to sell.
my prize rifle is my mauser K98. the enfield shoots great, but the mauser shoots even better. and, it was manufactured in Berlin in 1943 if i remember right. dont remember what the markings are, off the top of my head.
next rifle i get, will probably be a garand.
most interesting rifle ive seen, and its still there, is a japanese paratrooper rifle from WW2. i dont know its technical name, but what makes this one funny is it folds in half. by half, i dont mean the stock folds....the fold is litterally right in the middle. so, from what i can tell without taking it apart and actually looking at it, the barrel is 2 pieces..