_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Book advice
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi all

I recently asked this question in the Normandy Campaign section but then realised that only those of us with an interest in Allied subject matter would probably read it, so I've posted it here too, if that's ok.

"I'm not (by any stretch of the imagination) an expert on German forces in and around Normandy in 1944. I have reference books and access to the Internet, but do any of you know of any books along the same lines of an overview of German forces and armour for the ETO?

Although most of my work is concentrating on British and Commonwealth subjects, obviously I'm going to have to include the Axis forces in some way and don't really want to keep 'forking' out for individual reference books dealing specifically with the 12th SS or the Sdkfz 251 etc."

If anyone can help or advise I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Matt
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

Check out The Panzers and the Battle of Normany, June 5th to July 20th, 1944 by Georges Bernage. It's a good source for information about German Armoured units during the Normandy invasion. This might be what you're looking for.

Scott
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi Matt

Check out the history section at Amazon.com. They have a wide selection on a wide range on historic / Military books. If you don't mind getting a good conditioned used book you can save a lot of money as well. I get almost all my reference books from Amazon, and I don,t think I've spent more than $5 USD on any one book. These are hardback full color books. I highly advise checking them out.
Harry
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 12:55 PM UTC
Thank you very much guys! Just what I was looking for.

Matt
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 701 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hey Matt,

Michael Reynolds has an excelent book out on the HitelrJugend's operations in Normandy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1873376901/202-3163505-6947845?v=glance&n=266239&s=books&v=glance

This book covers both the 12th SS and the 1st SS and their operations in Normandy.There are 36 photographs included as well as maps and TOE's

This is definately a history book, aimed at the hostorian, but written for everyone, i feel. So if your reason for buying is for inspiration for modelling, then this is not the book for you..

Another option is the book by Huber Meyer available from JJF http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/out_of_print.htm#Hitlerjugend

This book is for the really serious historian and although it is out of print if you really are interested you should be able to pick up a copy from Amazon. If you have any further questions PM me and i will try and help

Regards from the Swamp

Eth

_GOTOTOP