Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Anyone else own a Lee Enfield No. 4?
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 07:27 AM UTC
Just curious.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:45 PM UTC
Dont own one, but it is one that I have always wanted. Just love the look of that rifle. Until recently I mainly focused on more modern rifles. I am now beginning to appreciate the finer things. :-)
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
I used to hunt with a Lee Enfield not sure if it was a No4,ithad a two inch barrel and adjustable battlesights at rear ,full wood.it was a lend lease jobbie made in Springfield, alas I had to give it to a friend when I left Australia.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it had a two inch barrel and adjustable battlesights at rear ,full wood.

two inch barrel is kinda short for a rifle isn't it? :-)
The Irish version of the territorials The F.C.A. used these until the late eighties. They were beautiful to use and fire and really nice to drill with too.
It's illegal to own anything bigger than a .22 here, which is probably a good thing.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
I have a No4 MKIII I believe made in 1951. Shoots great. But it will kill your shoulder after 50 rounds. How those guys did it in battle? My hat is off to the British Tommy.

Tom
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a No4 MKIII I believe made in 1951. Shoots great. But it will kill your shoulder after 50 rounds. How those guys did it in battle? My hat is off to the British Tommy.

Tom

I bought mine totally on a whim. I was in Cabela's for camping supplies, wandered past the gun section on the way out and saw a Lee sitting in the rack. They only had one example and I thought it was fairly ratty for what they wanted for it - not that I have any clue on gun values, but it got the gears turning.

Then another local store, maybe a week later, was advertising Lee Enfield's at $99 a pop. So I ran down. I always liked the earlier models better and never thought much about the No.4 but the best example they had was a No.4 - it was really rather good and for only a hunsky, why not?

I've had it for about 6 months but have not fired it yet. Just never seem to find the time. It's a U.S. (Savage) built model made in 1943 IIRC. My first firearm in fact, not counting the Remington 870 shotgun I'm permanently house-sitting for my brother-in-law. I thought about picking up some other bolt-actions but my wfie is less than enthusiastic.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 02:15 PM UTC
The No 4's a great battle rifle (very fast bolt action), though I'm not too sure how it is for hunting. Fired quite a few of these just for fun when I was an armoury clerk for two weeks. They were no longer issue, of course, but still needed to be maintained. My uncle used it in combat and said it was pretty good.
dgrady72
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 06:01 PM UTC
One of my favorite rifles. I have both a No1. MkIII (1906) and a No4. MkI* Made in Canada by Long Branch and Issues to New Zealand. Both great shooters. All I need now is a No2 Mk1 pistol with the hammer spur and a No4 Mk1 (T).
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:33 AM UTC
I currently own five No4 MkI's, (technically three No4 MkI's and two No4 MkI*'s) one from each manufacturer. BSA-Shirley, ROF Fazakerly, ROF Maltby, Longbranch (Canada) and Savage-Stevens (US Lend-Lease). In addition I also own three No1 MkIII* rifles, 1 Australian (Lithgow), 1 Indian (Ishapore), and one RSAF Enfield built example from 1916.

Yes, I admit it, I'm also a firearms collector with a deep interest in British/Commonwealth arms. Funny, I also like British WWII armor and aircraft as model subjects as well. Coincidence? :-)

I love the butter smooth action of the bolts on all my Enfields. And, while the recoil is a little stout, there are others that are much worse, like the No4's little brother, the No5 MkI "Jungle Carbine". My only complaint is the expense and scarcity of .303 British ammunition, which makes it so I can't take my collection out to the target range as often as I'd like.

But I believe owning, preserving, and actually using these wonderful old military antiques does bring a sense of history and the recognition of the sacrifices our fathers and grandfathers undertook in the defence of their nations.
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the butter smooth action of the bolts on all my Enfields. And, while the recoil is a little stout, there are others that are much worse, like the No4's little brother, the No5 MkI "Jungle Carbine". My only complaint is the expense and scarcity of .303 British ammunition, which makes it so I can't take my collection out to the target range as often as I'd like.

I have had no problem finding ammo around here, not that I get a chance to use any. Got a 20-round box of Remington ammo for about $12.00 IIRC which I didn't think was too bad at all.

I too was attracted by the action. I also looked at Moisin-Nagant's, MAS-36's, Pattern 1914's, and various Mausers (Mostly Yugo - which looked like new) and didn't care for any of them.
aaronpegram
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 05:00 PM UTC
Dont own a Mk IV, but have a No.5 Mk.1 - the nice and short Jungle Carbine. The feral pigs of northern New South Wales dont seem too keen on it though....

A.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hi Aaron, thats what I used to shoot, friend of mine had a property near Maitland pigs used to tear the place up. I had a sow with squeelers charge me once hit her in the shoulder the bloody thing kept coming and knocked me flying.long time ago though, I believe they tightend the gun laws in OZ now?
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
My pig hunting gun at one time was a lever action 30-30 carbine and a Smith & Wesson 44 mag for backup. Rifle was great but it was hard to get the second shot off with the 44 :-)
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My only complaint is the expense and scarcity of .303 British ammunition,

Used to be just the opposite back home in Sri Lanka. Probably the most available round after the 7.62-mm AK. SL Army used the Lee-Enfield right into the '60s, and the cops into the '80s, and there's huge stockpiles of the ammo gathering dust and rust. Heard it's much the same throughout the Indian subcontinent.
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My only complaint is the expense and scarcity of .303 British ammunition,

Used to be just the opposite back home in Sri Lanka. Probably the most available round after the 7.62-mm AK. SL Army used the Lee-Enfield right into the '60s, and the cops into the '80s, and there's huge stockpiles of the ammo gathering dust and rust. Heard it's much the same throughout the Indian subcontinent.

Too bad they couldn't sell that on the surplus market and have some of it end up here in the US, although the latest Indian surplus .303 that has made it here hasn't been in too good of shape due to poor storage conditions. Lots of hang fires and failures to fire. Commercial .303 British where I live runs from around $10 per 20 rounds for the Serbian made ammo, $15 per 20 rounds for the South African, and $18-$20 for the US commercial brands such as Remington and Winchester. I buy the Serbian and SA ammo when I find it, but it sells out quickly, probably due in part to the large numbers of Enfield rifles that were just imported to the US. The last really good surplus .303 imported to the US was from South Africa about 6 years ago or so. Once in a while it does still appear on the market, mostly from private sellers, and if I find it, I scarf all of it up I can. I really need to stop buying plastic kits and invest in a reloading press and dies so I could reload the empty brass I have acquired so far in .303. I probably will sometime soon, but my hobby interests go in streaks, and right now modeling is the high point interest with firearms less so. I'm sure that will change and they will flip-flop, and then I'll work on getting into the reloading biz.
Elemention
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 09:43 PM UTC
Yup, love my enfield

No4 Mk1* Long Branch, also with the sniper sling attatchment forward of the mag...

Deac though, would love to fire it
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 06:46 AM UTC
No 4 Mk.1, early serial, from BSA Shirley, with a Mk.II bayonet. It was a present from the officers when I left my O-6 command.

John
chadman01
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 07:03 AM UTC
My very first Real gun I ever owned and shot was a No.4 mk 1 (still have it). I have another No. 4 Mk. 1 Savage arms lend lease enfield too. I have to say out of all my gund my first enfield has to be the smoothest and best shooter.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No 4 Mk.1, early serial, from BSA Shirley, with a Mk.II bayonet. It was a present from the officers when I left my O-6 command.

John

That's the thing that drives me mad about living in the UK. So hard to get a firearms licence.I have a beautiful SMLE III deac date stamped 1916 . Oh to be able to fire it at the cats that come into my garden when my dog's asleep :-) :-) :-)
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 02:11 PM UTC
I own a No. 4 Mk1, made in 1942, Stamped US PROPERTY, and has the WD proofs. It was made by Savage Arms, and was a Lend-Lease rifle.

paid 250 bucks and it came with the spike bayonet.
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I own a No. 4 Mk1, made in 1942, Stamped US PROPERTY, and has the WD proofs. It was made by Savage Arms, and was a Lend-Lease rifle.

paid 250 bucks and it came with the spike bayonet.

Wow, this thread is still alive!
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 03:16 AM UTC
It's amazing what will re-surface, isn't it? LOL!

I've got a Lee-Enfield squirrelled away in my cache... I think it's a No.4 Mk III. The rear sight is adjustable up to 2000 yards and has a solid brass buttplate. (That's what makes the kick feel like a mule!)

As a bush gun, it's great. But the ballistics of the .303 British make it a little infeasible for real distance shooting. I mean, by the time you've hit 500 yds, the bullet has dropped something like 22 inches, IIRC.

Federal is still making .303 British ammo, and I believe Remington is also, but I can't say for sure. Thinking I need to wander over to the sporting goods shop down the block..........
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But the ballistics of the .303 British make it a little infeasible for real distance shooting. I mean, by the time you've hit 500 yds, the bullet has dropped something like 22 inches, IIRC.

Nothing at that range is in any danger from me anyway
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:09 PM UTC
As far as I can tell I have a No.4 MkIII. I want to say I gave about $80 USD for it with a well worn stock. I called it one of my coyote gun's. Which is what I originally used it for. The stock eventually cracked and I dropped it into an Advanced Technologies fiberglass sporter stock. That gun is one of the most accurate shooting rifles there is. I've even found some great hunting ammo by Winchester that has served me well in the deer woods. Overall, one of the best firearms ever made!
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:41 PM UTC
Mark, in that department... all I can say is practice, practice......... Aw, hell... with open sights it's a damned tough distance for anyone! For that matter, with a scope it's touchy. But for that, honestly, practice, practice, practice. Making something go bang is one of the few things better than modelling!

Hellbent: I hope you didn't misunderstand me, dude... it's a beautiful gun and reliable as Old Faithful. I know where I've seen mine go, and if I know at all what my Dad was like before I came into the picture (and I do,) I've got a pretty good idea of where it's been. Oh, wait... let's throw my brother into the equation, too!

Honestly, they're great guns, totally reliable, and up until you start looking at long distance shooting, like Hellbent said, very accurate. The only other firearm I'd recommend as a "in case of bear" weapon is a 12-guage loaded with birdshot in the pipe, followed by a couple of slugs, and then double-ought Buck in the mag.