_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Me 163B-1 Finished
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:52 AM UTC
I neglected to post the finished pics here, so here goes:

The real fight to finish this was with the skid support struts, it took about 3 hours of struggling to get them in and the skid positioned correctly.
Mal
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
Sehr Schon Mal,as the Germans say
I really like the mottle, I must get around to doing another Luftwaffe subject so I can have another go at it.
Nice to see one of your models on a base,it sets it off really well and you can almost smell the aviation fuel dripping on the tarmac,,,put that fag out!!
Doing really well in MOM to boot!
Good to see you hitting a bit of a roll for finishing models as well
Nige
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
Nice one Mal. I had a feeling the Komet would make an appearance this month.
Looks like you are on a bit of a build frenzy at the moment. Can us mere mortals request some table space on the I.P.M.S stand at Telford please, before you fill it up :-) .
Nice base, is that a printed surface ( obviously not the grass :-) )?
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good to see you hitting a bit of a roll for finishing models as well

Well you aint seen nothing yet, I am attempting to finish another for next months MOM and it's a definate possible

Quoted Text

Looks like you are on a bit of a build frenzy at the moment. Can us mere mortals request some table space on the I.P.M.S stand at Telford please, before you fill it up

See above and I might not have room for any models, should the "Internet Cafe" actually happen. But even if it doesn't don't worry I'll just bring some of mine along to fill in

Quoted Text

Nice base, is that a printed surface ( obviously not the grass )?

As you probably guessed the grass is "static grass" the concrete base is actually a piece of light grey artist board. The "tar" divisions are simply penciled in, using a ruler, then the odd crack is lightly penciled in. The drain cover is scratch built out of plasticard and the stains are done with artist oils. The base was actually built for my 1/72 F-86 but it seemed to suit the Komet
Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As you probably guessed the grass is "static grass" the concrete base is actually a piece of light grey artist board. The "tar" divisions are simply penciled in, using a ruler, then the odd crack is lightly penciled in. The drain cover is scratch built out of plasticard and the stains are done with artist oils. The base was actually built for my 1/72 F-86 but it seemed to suit the Komet
Mal

WOW, i didn't think that you drew that, i thought it was a printed design.
Wheres the F-86 then, i wanna see pics .
Andy
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice to see one of your models on a base,it sets it off really well and you can almost smell the aviation fuel dripping on the tarmac,,,put that fag out!!

t-stoff and c-stoff will go bang without any form of ignition! plus one of them will dissolve any organic material -flesh, bones and skin, the pilots were issued acid proof overalls as a degree of protection, but amongst the crews it was seen as a purely psychological measure (guess who's been watching discovery channel!)
is this the revell kit mal? i have this same aircraft (white 18) on my shelf and the landing skid was a heck of a fiddley thing to do
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW, i didn't think that you drew that, i thought it was a printed design.
Wheres the F-86 then, i wanna see pics .

OK Andy I'll take some pics, of the F-86 on the base and post them.

Quoted Text

is this the revell kit mal? i have this same aircraft (white 18) on my shelf and the landing skid was a heck of a fiddley thing to do

Yes Phil, it's the Revell kit, which I think is a re-boxing of a dragon or Trimaster kit. Yep the skid supports were a pig, if there ever is a next time I'll add them before gluing in the side walls to the skid retraction bay.
Another small point, the painting instructions, seem to, suggest that the RLM 81 section on the starboard wing, adjacent to the fuselage, should be RLM 76. I was sent a larger scale plan, by an Armorama member, which showed the same thing. On closer inspection the larger plans were just a blown up copy of the Revell instructions. As the wings were manufactured seperately to the fuselage (they were made of plywood) and would have been painted seperately, I chose to paint them RLM 81 and 83.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP