History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
OP: Desert Storm and Mojave Desert
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi!

I am going to make a talk in school in Wednesday. I am going to talk about the Iraq-question and OP: Desert Storm... And I need some info, maybe you here on Armorama knows anything about that?

Thanks!
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC
Errrrrr what do you need to know?
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC
I spent 9 months in the theatre with the UN post Desert Storm. While the oil fires were out, the debris of battle still littered the desert. Our major task as combat engineers was UXO and mine clearance.
A question has always bothered me about this particular war. We have heard and continue to hear that the US armed Saddam Hussein, yet when I was there, the only Iraqi equipment was of Soviet, Warsaw Pact and Chinese origins. So, if someone wants to lay blame for arming Saddam, surely the blame would not lie primarily with the US. I will admit I am not fully aware of this aspect of the conflict and would appreciate comments.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We have heard and continue to hear that the US armed Saddam Hussein...

This is probably because we did give (sell) equipment to Kuwait. A lot of Kuwaiti equipment fell into Iraqi hands, so there appeared to be US-equipped Iraqi forces.

Main reason for not taking out all of Iraq's military capability was the fear that Iran might retaliate for Saddam's previous invasion of their country if Iraq was too weak to defend itself. The question asked at the time was, "Do you want Iran's fundamentalist Islamic government controlling that much of the Persian Gulf?" Saddam's dictatorship keeps the Fundamentalists in check, meaning not letting the Fundamentalist movement spread to the Arabic nations that are fairly friendly with the West.
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:46 PM UTC
Hello Aragorn
I was deployed during Operation Desert Shield through Desert Storm and was rotated home in Mid June of 1991. I can give you an Idea of what it was like on the gorund During the period of 5 Nov 90 thru 14 Jun 1991. E-mail me if you need this information and please ask questions that I can use to refresh my mind? An awful lot happend during that time and it would help to have questions to answer rather than rambling on. You can contact me at [email protected] (take out the no spam)
HTH
Jeff Larkin
AKA beachbm2
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thanks for all help... I will take some of your "life-experince", if thats OK.

One of my friends lived in Iran during the gulfwar, and he is absolutely sure that the Americans sold weapons and equipments to Iraq... and not Kuwait.

Thanks for all help again...