_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
MOT tax!
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:27 PM UTC
Well there must be one cyclist that isn't colour blind.

Or is it just a death wish?

Andy
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You do stop at red traffic lights and obay the highway code though don't you

They have traffic lights on the pavement?
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
:-) :-) :-) :-)

Nice one Henk.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They have traffic lights on the pavement?

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
madrob66
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 04:26 PM UTC
think i better hide now......mot tester eeek
i must say i think the mot is now slacker than it was a few years ago its all pass and advise now.
some of the things i see scare me to death, and they are on about makin mot test every two years instead of one, cant see that tho mr blair will lose money
_H_Dori
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
Well I feel I should post on this as most of my life revolves around cars. I work in a busy garage which does MOT's aswell as the normal stuff.

The MOT currently costs just over £50, this was brought in to offset the fact that the new DVLA system that makes MOT'ing easier and quicker actually makes MOT'ing slower and more difficult. It was a system that "Wouldn't cost the garage any more to implement" we had to pay to install isdn lines for the new system for them to then tell us that it couldn't be used and that the system would only work with Dial up!!!

The motor trade is up in arms on this system as the rumor, and I must state RUMOR is that MOT's will be £75 by next christmas. This I feel is a disgrace but I sadly can do nothing about it.

Already the MOT is a bit of a waste of time as you can get away with so much. We lterally had to pass a wreck last week as, in the MOT criteria it was fine!!!

Brakes were 50% effective, no bushes too worn even though on the road it crabbed and moved about all over the place, no rust within 12inchs of seatbelt mounts etc.

The idea of the new MOT is that everything is barcoded, you tax now has a bar code on it, MOT does and even your insurance. This is all in the DVLA's system and apparently means that if a police car follows you the reg will tell the Policeman whether the car has all of the above and stops people from not paying tax and insurance....apparently.

It's funny how road tax and petrol tax isn't actually used to improve the roads in anyway though isn't it!!

God bless the boys and girls in government, still atleast it pays for all the great services they provide us with.....hey wait!!

Sorry for going on

H

erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC
Just noticed this thread. Its right that PNC will tell you if a vehicles taxed, insured and has a current MOT from a moving vehicle check. However some of the sheds on the road were always worth a tug ( left the job two years ago) as you knew you could find a pile of construction and use offences on them. I never went after Joe Bloggs Mr Average just the criminal element in supposedly legitimate cars. Now there was a logic to this. They'd get community sentences for burglaries, assaults etc but get a 3 month stretch for driving while disqualified. Stopped one notable burglar with 3 bald tyres. Produced his MOT from the previous week but as it was last week and his tyres were bald at that point he still go knocked off. 9 points added to his licence on top of a speeding conviction Disqualified...LOL.Was just a matter of time before I caught him driving again
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 942 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 06:23 PM UTC
Slightly , but still road related.
When driving along the motorway you come to the customary road works. After slowing to 20mph (the posted limit is 50 but you can't get 3 lanes of cars into 1 lane), and travelling for about 3-4 miles you come across 2 or 3 vehicles, brightly displaying 'Motorway maintainance' all over them and one lonely fellow working at wiping a sign clean or something.
Now:
Why all those miles of cones (which could conceivably continue for 2 or 3 counties after the said worker), and how do the other vehicles get there? If they were driven there why aren't the drivers also working
I have a pet thory that they only use massive ammounts of cones because the companys have nowhere else to store them.
TTFN
Tom

mark197205
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,593 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When driving along the motorway you come to the customary road works. After slowing to 20mph (the posted limit is 50 but you can't get 3 lanes of cars into 1 lane), and travelling for about 3-4 miles you come across 2 or 3 vehicles, brightly displaying 'Motorway maintainance' all over them and one lonely fellow working at wiping a sign clean or something.
Now:
Why all those miles of cones (which could conceivably continue for 2 or 3 counties after the said worker), and how do the other vehicles get there? If they were driven there why aren't the drivers also working
I have a pet thory that they only use massive ammounts of cones because the companys have nowhere else to store them.
TTFN
Tom

And dont forget the times when you get the advisory signs reducing the speed limit due to congestion and you continue on, and on, and on, and on seeing nothing that would cause a delay and hey presto, the speed limits signs go back up to 70 again....
lampie
Visit this Community
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 04:56 AM UTC
Heres something to ponder.
The variable speed limits on the M42 and the M25 with the cameras on the gantries.
When they are switched on,I wonder how many "offences" are commited by drivers who were driving at the legal limit just before the camera was switched on,and "speeding" imediately after?
Hmm,,,,
Nige
wilson
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now:
TTFN
Tom

That will be the other bug bear in this country...... Health and safety!!!
And it's getting worse all the time, ironic thing about the H&S laws is that Britain adopted most of these from European legislation and how often do you see roadworks in Europe with cones and blokes in so much hi vis they can't move??
Highways is my line of work and I could go on and on.. but modelling to do!

Sam
 _GOTOTOP