Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
First time ebay seller
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 06:08 AM UTC
Every year I go through my models that I’ve built, it’s amazing what you can accumulate in that time. Heck I build around 8-10 models a year. I then box them up and donate them to many of the VFW’s, American Legions, AMVETS and the Buffalo Navel Service Men’s Park. Well this year I though I’d auction them off. I listed (3) with a decent value, what I’d thought was fair. This year I figured why give them away, why not make a little money.

While looking over at ebay, I was stunned to see what (“built ups) that were listed. I’m not claming to be a pro, there just simply listed exactly what was do and not embellished.

So anyone else here sell their built up model kits on ebay.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 07:13 AM UTC
I'm on the buying end

I agree that there are a bunch of very questionable in quality and are listed pretty high.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 07:30 AM UTC
Mine go on Evil Bay through a friend's site.It's part of the household peace agreement with SWMBO :-)
Basically,Auctions are like fishing.Somedays good,others not.Depends on your build,the photo's,description,price,and terms.Best to do a 7 day gig Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday.Good exposure and time enough to let the collectors evaluate,think,and get excited.If you use the 'reserve' option,it might be a good way to test the waters.If no bids over the reserve,don't worry.Try again in 5-8 weeks,the fishing could get better!
Some builders churn the stuff out like an assembly line hoping for profit through volume,others do 1-3 per year or even less and it's these people who generally define true "Pro-Built".There are a couple who have not sold for a year or so,who are in the service,and who I fear are casualties of one sort or another. I know,but their work was spectacular to behold.
cheers for good luck!
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hey Rick thanks for the insight.

Scott, same here on the buying end. I have no idea on what I've spent and nor do I want to know, it might make me throw up

Joe
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi Joe,
I sell some of my models on ebay occassionaly, more of a 'keep the cost down' exercise than making lots of bucks (although I can dream..). I have to agree with Rick, it's very hit and miss. I start my auctions at the minimum I want to get for the model, which is at least what I paid for it plus a small amount to cover paint and glue etc. My attitude is 'if you want it, you'll pay for it, if you're not willing to pay for it, you don't want it..
I don't use terms like 'pro-built' in my listings, as one: I'm not a pro, and two: I think it actualy puts people off, there's so much rubbish on there.
Make sure to add a good number of very good pictures, they say more than the bla-bla that the 'pros' write about their airbrush they used...
Good luck Joe,

Cheers
Henk
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:01 AM UTC
Ohh, BTW

Talk about lost in the woods....

doh

The tank is very well built. I know nothing about this tank. The barrel is bend.

Classic