_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Workbench Lighting
mrm1944
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone uses or knows someone that uses the 'Actulit' polarised daylight lighting?

I've seen it advertised in magazines and looked at the website, but at nearly £100 per lamp... it's a lot of money if it's nothing special!

Thanks
Mark
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC
I use the Regular "Daylight" Fluorescent tubes....... and there is a Difference in the light they put out........ I've seen the one's you're talking about..... But i find the "Daylight" & GE Reveal better than the "regular" bulbs.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 05:17 AM UTC
I also have changed to "Day Light" Fluorescents. Seems to be easier my my eyes also.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC
i think i used almost the same as many of you. Only a 9 Watt philips daylight flourencent for the table light and 2 18Watt light on the ceiling and the wall in front ..

me too is wondering about the product in question. How good is this Actulite?? What so special about it?? With that price, i could light 5 house in my neigbourhood.......
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 03:18 PM UTC
Workig @ the local HD........... We have a similar one in stock now..... and to My eye............ it really looks like a compac flourescent "Daylight" bulb in a floor / desk lamp.......... (I still have yet to find replacement bulbs to them so I'll stick with the "Daylight & reveal types for Standard Fixtures)
joe4227
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:15 AM UTC
There are two lighting issues, and several vendors.

The Actulite seems to be the original.

Michael's in NA sells the OTT lite.

They not only are supposed to be easier on the eyes for people who do detail work, but the second issue is that they are supposed to be "balanced daylight".

They are a newer generation of lighting products than the old "daylight" tubes, which were simply a redder fluorescent (most are bluish).

The old ones are useful for starting plants and aquariums, but they do nothing to aid the ageing eyes of humans.

These new lights, though rather pricey, ahve been reviewed in several of the modelling journals, and the concensus of the rivet counters and camo measurers is that the paint jobs performed under this light tends to match real life colours musch more closely. It is supposed to be better at highlighting detail, and showing proper contrast.

They don't mention "polarization" with the Ott lite. Rather, it's the color balance of the lighting that is supposed to be better.

This is based on what I have read, and I have been eying one at the local recently, but have yet to try it out...
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:22 AM UTC
The difference is not only in the type of light, and how it reacts with your eyes, it's also to do with the actual temperature of the bulb. Most daylight bulbs give off a high temp, just like ordinary bulbs, whilst (IIRC) the acculite stays cool, so you can work close to it without it overheating your work.

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 09:52 PM UTC
Yep... the OTT / Acculight are both Flourescent lights therefore cooler........
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC
I got an actulite for Xmas (I had been a VERY good boy ).

I am very pleased with it and they estimate a bulb will last 10,000 hours. The light is more natural than a blue "daylight" bulb. It's a good brightness and because it's polarised you get much less glare from kit parts (especially useful if you're using photo-etch). It also makes things look "sharper" - my grandfather, whose eyes are failing found his very helpful for his marquetry. I am delighted with mine and would recommend it if you too have been a very good boy.

Sean
mrm1944
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 01:40 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone for your help.

I think I've been a good enough boy to treat myself...
:-)
 _GOTOTOP