TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Sci-Fi Friday is BACK baby!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:28 AM UTC
Man... I was starting to jones heavily without my SG1 and SG-A. They season openers were very good I thought. The special effects have really gone up several notches on these shows lately.

It kind of sucks we have 4 months to wait for Battlestar Galactica...but hey... I can do it.

Cheers,
Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:34 AM UTC
Too bad SciFi isn't in HD. My buddy just got a 62in HDTV but we were not able to take full advantage of the size.

4 months till BSG??? Crap
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It kind of sucks we have 4 months to wait for Battlestar Galactica...but hey... I can do it.

Cheers,
Jim

Shhhhhhhhh! My wife can hear me reading about BSG - I don't need her to start wailing and moaning over the fact that she has to wait a little longer. :-) :-)
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 12:07 AM UTC
I'm pretty sure all three series are shot in HD.
Regards
Joker
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm pretty sure all three series are shot in HD.
Regards
Joker

True but they are not broadcast in HD on the SciFi Channel through the local cable or satelite companies
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 02:46 AM UTC
Well that doesn't make much sense. A couple of years ago they made a big deal about how HD was going to change the way we make the show, more attention to detail etc. I wonder why Sci-fi hasn't made the move, SG-1, Atlantis and BSG are the top grossing shows for the network, you'd think they would want a bigger fan base by broadcasting in HD, and giving the fans what they want.
I'll do a bit of research when we are back from hiatus
Regards
Pete
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
I believe that the FCC has mandated that by the end of the year, all stations must comply and switch over to DTV, (not to be confused with HDTV) which won't make much of a difference, because if I've read this right, they can still broadcast programs at 480i. which will give us the same crappy viewing quality. I'll wait till they release the episodes on DVD.

Frank
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well that doesn't make much sense. A couple of years ago they made a big deal about how HD was going to change the way we make the show, more attention to detail etc. I wonder why Sci-fi hasn't made the move, SG-1, Atlantis and BSG are the top grossing shows for the network, you'd think they would want a bigger fan base by broadcasting in HD, and giving the fans what they want.
I'll do a bit of research when we are back from hiatus
Regards
Pete

It's possible that it's just my local cable and satellite that are not offering SciFiHD. On the other hand SciFi reslly offers very little in other programming except B horror movies, reruns of old sci-fi shows and crappy made-for-TV movies. Perhaps they are not ready for the leap to HD just yet.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On the other hand SciFi reslly offers very little in other programming except B horror movies, reruns of old sci-fi shows and crappy made-for-TV movies. Perhaps they are not ready for the leap to HD just yet.

Don't forget Who wants to be a Superhero?. If they would just stick to Sci-Fi and forget the horror B-movies and crappy reality stuff the channel would be the only one to watch. Right now though, I only watch it on Friday nights.

I hope they keep the Doctor Who going too. I've watched most of the 2006 David Tennant ones (watching the last one tonight) and must say that these rock even more than the Chris Eccleston episodes.

Dave S.
oldstl1000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
I love the Sci-Fi Channel. But was is the crap with them putting on wrestling and soap operas?

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the Sci-Fi Channel. But was is the crap with them putting on wrestling and soap operas?

The sad reality is that there isn't sufficient good Sci-fi out there to fill up the time slots...... If you want really good hard Sci-fi, your best bet is still to pick up a book. I've taken a liking to Alastair Reynolds recently, have read both Chasm City and Absolution Gap both great reads. If you care for some lighter (if that's possible) hard Sci-fi, try Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper's Building Harlequin's Moon

Frank