_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
FEATURE: Digital Camera Introduction
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 05:55 PM UTC
Delbert has written up a very informative article on digital cameras and using them to photograph models. You can read it here.

As usual if you have comments or feedback please leave it here.

Thanks Delbert!

Cheers,
Jim
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
Thank you, Delbert. Your effort is most appreciated. I really want to get a digital camera so I can post some pictures here and on the MSN site, but know nothing about them. Your article is a great help. At least now I know what features I should be looking for, and what they are used for. Thanks for your help.

Mike

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:24 AM UTC
You know the bad thing about these darn cameras is we bought one last Xmas for $499.00 and the piece of crap can't take closeups. Now we have to go buy another one was looking at the Nikon 4500.
Great article sorry for the ranting I will step down now!!
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:44 PM UTC
Great article....having just bought a digital camera found it quite useful. One thing though it was stated very early on that you need at least a 2 megapixel camera as the 1.2 megapixel cameras dont put out quality images. To a large degree i believe this to be true however i'm of the understanding that the lense quality can also have a big impact on the final results. Canon for example have excellent lenses and when you compare an image from a 1.2megapixel canon to say a kodak 2 megapixel camera quite often youll see little difference.

i have my briefcase here all photos taken with a canon a30 1.2megapixel. unfortunatelly yahoo shrinks these images but the original res is 1280x960.
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/powerlogik03

thanks again for the article.
brakeet
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi all,

Good idea to share your practical knowledge about digital camera.

I just want to add this tips about light:

I always take my picture inside and I use 2 desk lamps (the kind of lamps used by architects) with daylight bulbs (blue bulbs) 60 W. It permits to practice all the year long, at day or at night and not related to the weather conditions (too much terrific weather conditions in my country !!!!)

I can controle more easily my light and get great results.

Try it and report your result !

Let's continue to share this kind of subject

See you
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:30 PM UTC
Good article Delbert

but I have also a few comments (not on the article, that is good) But I have a 1.3 megapixel camera without zoom and on the highest quality it gives very good pictures. All my pics here on Armorama.com and on the internet are made with this camera.

Further. As I live in Holland, it rains here more than that it`s sunny during the year so I take most of my pics inside though I know that the lighting is better outside but the weather prevents me from doing this.
So I take most of my pictures in our kitchen for the lighting I use two long white neon tubes. One always hangs above it and one I lay in front of my model. I made a special modification to my smal table tri-pod so it could stand with the round casing of the neontube between the "legs" of my tri-pod. Two pieces of big white A3 paper against the wall and you have a perfect lighted studio

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 11:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback on the camera.. As I stated in my article, I am not a "expert" with the Digital Camera's. I am mearly relating my own recent experence on the subject. I am sure there are a great many differences between the various Brands of Camera's. However out of the several camera's in the lower price range that I was able to test in the stores. The 2 mega pixal camera was the breakpoint that I choose for myself when choosing between image quaility and price.

And also Using natural light.. I.E. outside, does seem to give me the best results.. although I do take pictures inside, mostly in progress stuff, but again I based this upon my own personal experiences.

And If anyone out there has any more hints and tips on using DC's please post them here for the rest of us. The more information that is available the more informed our choices are.
 _GOTOTOP