Book British/Commonwealth forces in Itay
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi all,

I'm looking for a book which covers the actions of British and Commonwealth forces in Sicily, Salerno and Italy.

The book has to describe combat actions, units and if possible also contain colour drawings of camouflage schemes etc.

Does anyone know such a book?

Martin
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 01:11 AM UTC
Imperial War Museum Book of the War in Italy 1943-1945: A Vital Contribution to Victory in Europe might be what you're looking for. It doesn't have colour profiles unfortunately but there are some good photos.
I haven't read it but there are some reviews here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0283072946/026-2492276-8546801?v=glance&n=266239
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 01:32 AM UTC
Sounds like a good one, thanks!

Martin
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 14,499 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi Martin,

I have somewhere at home a book about the 36 Ulster Division, (I think it was the 36th???) which is an excellent read and covers the campaings in N Africa through to Italy. It was packed with both historical and first hand accounts of the various actions. I'll try and find it when I get back, it got packed away for some reason and I haven't unearthered it yet but it would be just what you are looking for. It gives a graphic account of the conditions the troops fought under and is an excellent reference source.

The History of the Irish Guards which is avaiable from RHQ (I can give you the address if your interested) covers the 1st Bns actions in Italy which make for some grim reading as the losses were staggering, the Battalion was desciminated in the defence of the landings at Anzio, but one unit might be too specific for you purpose.

Cheers

Al

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 08:04 PM UTC
For a book that has drawings and information on camouflage schemes (and nothing else) Mike Starmer's books are hard to beat. The third one on this page is the one you need.

Mike Starmer

Changing the subject entirely, there's this one upcoming from Osprey

Inter-Allied Commando
 _GOTOTOP