Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
OC and CO
Scharfuhrer
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
I was wondering if someone could explain the difference in these titles. My understanding is that the "CO" :- is the commanding officer who is appointed to command a unit. ( Be that by Congress or Royal Warrent ( Commision). However sometimes an Officer finds himself as the OC as they are the senior officer. Thus an OC of a regiment could be a Lieutenant, because his CO could be absent (or dead). I'm thinking WW1 here. How does it work in the modern era.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 06:42 AM UTC
Ok – Comedy relief – having a psychologist for a wife the OC crabbed my attention. OC stands for Obsessive Compulsive. Gotta have things just so! I can see being in this hobby with OC – gotta have just the right # of rivets or just the right thickness armor.
CO = Commanding Officer, who in themselves probably has a bit of OC in them.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 08:21 AM UTC
To Funny Scott!!!!!!!!!!!
To answer your question Scharfuhrer.
CO = Commanding Officer.
OIC = Officer in Charge
Usually, and officer is apointed in charge of a task. For example, when i was in germany, i was the unit mail clerk. An officer was apointed OIC of the mail room, meaning he or she reported to the Commander all inforamtion and anything related to the mail room. Antoher example would be during a convoy. If the Commander is not present, he or she would apoint a person in charge of that convoy, Officer in Charge(OIC). There would also be a NCOIC (Non Commosioned Officer In Charge).
I hope this explained a little bit, and I'm sure the other military guys will add the little info to or even correct me if I am wrong.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
Epi,
Good stuff - Thanks. Clear as a bell.