_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Ottawa war museum
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC
any one been their yet? Anything that shouldn't be missed? Any intresting vehicles(ww2 armour preferably)?

Il be camping an hour from their next week and my dad figured he'd bring my brother and i there.

Frank
cementshoes
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 09:45 PM UTC
The museum is excellent. Went last year. Lots of ww2 vehicles, armour, weopons. Lots of German stuff, including Hitlers staff car the101st found.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:06 PM UTC
My sister just went there last week and she was raving about it (and she is not a history buff) Check out the website

Museum

HTH
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I got a little scared when they only showed the carrier and staff car on the site

Anyone know if cameras are allowed?

Frank
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

Yes you can take cameras, but (for obvious reasons) they do not allow flash guns on the paintings. The walk through prior to the armour musium is educational and well thought out. You will enjoy it...

Frank
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 03:14 AM UTC
Frank, what are these flash guns exactly?

Frank
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 06:56 AM UTC
External flash units for cameras, they mount on top of the camera.

Frank
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC
Frank,

I have heard lots of good things about the new museum. My wife and I are hoping to get up to Ottawa this fall and its one of the must see things for me.

They have a Panther there but I am not sure if its on display yet. It was at CFB Borden down the road from me but the war museum has it now. Good thing cause it was just sitting outside rusting away.

Have a good time and let us know what you thought.

Jeff
Removed by original poster on 10/14/19 - 20:36:25 (GMT).
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
i know in advance i wont be buying anything... swmbo will be waiting at the campground iwth my mother and sister

And il let you know how i found it

Frank
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 02:27 AM UTC
Salut François ..I was there last year and I took over 550 pictures so no problems except as Frank said about the paintings.... There's a great ShermanV that looks pretty darn good if it weren,t for the hull Mg being stuck out too far ...You have a Churchill and a Churchill bridgelayer ..a few Rams and a sexton ,even a grissly...A very early Chaffee ,a grant ...lots of German stuff too ...I saw the pather in the back room ...I did have a chance to climb over that tank at Borden in 94 but I'm glad to see it under a roof finally ...there is so much to see you better warn your family that you'll be gone for the day and I hope you have a good digital camera ...you're gonna need it ... There are Jagdpanzer IV L70 ,lots of guns and trucks even an RSO ,there is also some post war stuff which is cool ..nice to see a Centurion and a T72 (i think) up close ...I ran out of batteries and I'll have to head back there this year sometime ..

Rick
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
HURRAY
Sounds like il be having fun... now lets delete the pics and load the batteries!

Frank
waterlily
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 59 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Frank

You better bring lots of memory for your camera. I have been there this spring and will go again this winter. I will be working across the street at Lebreton Flats next year as soon as they sell more units. There is a large area with around 35 vehicles in it that might be missed. You can find it down a long hallway with a lot of art work on it. Be patient its down that long hallway.

Have Fun
Removed by original poster on 07/15/06 - 06:31:37 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 07/15/06 - 11:47:07 (GMT).
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC
Hi everyone!
Well i've finaly visited and WOW! its a really nice museum, lots on intresting bits of info and i loved the re-created ww1 trenches and battlefield.

Unfortunatly thomas, i didn't run out of mememory or batteries... i ran out of time when i got to the sherman in the ww2 section! with 10 minutes left i saw( viewing from the gallery) the tanks on display( and found out their were more when i went around by the glass "dome") so as i struggled to get out as slowly as possible i managed to take about 5 more shots quickly but had to leave... Yep, 6 hours wasn't enought....

WEll, when i left, my brother, father and i went to hte back on the museum were they were storing the leopard so we had fun looking, touching, and climbing it...

Frank
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 03:39 AM UTC
For anyone thinking of visitng the Museum, it is free to enter on Thursday evenings from 4 till 9pm!

I went there last March for the Thursday evening and it was great. Almost no-one about, the staff were very willing to let me in behind the ropes cordonning off the vehicles so I could take photos of the backs and sides. They even let me climb up on top of a couple for specific shots, but only when I and they were the only people in the hall. I explained that I knew what I wanted and why and they were most accomodating. I'm sure they weren't supposed to let me up on the tanks, but with no-one looking on they were a lot more free with the access than normal.

Don't expect it, but if you chat up the commisionaires/volunteers and there is _no-one_ elese around, you might get a little more freedom than normal.

Paul
waterlily
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 59 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 04:29 AM UTC
I didn’t get to crawl on any tanks I got scolded for touching a 6 inch piece of steal.Maybe you could share those pics.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe you could share those pics.

What are you looking for? I took mostly photos of the Ram and Lee plus a few of the Great Eastern. I have photos of more of the stuff from when it was at Vimy house, but that's all actual photos and is packed away pending a move.

BTW they normally really frown on touching anything, but a reasoned word with the staff will usually let you around back of them for photos. The permission to get up on them was really rare, and only because there was no-ne at all in the hall but me and them.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP