_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
technique overload
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
I have numerous books, articles, magazines and copies made for the net about different techniques. Now I'm just overwhelmed. How do you guys decide what technique to use and more importantly how do you remind yourself of techniques to use? I often get the "oh I was going to use pershade technique" after I've weathered the vehicle or I'll read an article and say I will use the technique but forget.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:16 AM UTC
I wouldn't get hung up on names. You've got to find what works for you and keep using it. In many cases that may mean combining aspects of all different techiniques. I think the key thing is to keep building and keep trying new things. Soon enough it will all sort itself out and you'll find things you're happy with. Another important step you have already taken, reading and finding out how other people do it. Ask questions, everyone here is more than willing to help!!!
BUILD, BUILD, BUILD!!!! And if it doesn't turn out the way you like the first time, try it again. It's sorta like golf, except more fun.

Nate
Wisc. USA
Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 102 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC
I have a test model. It is a panther i did along time ago, there are little sections on it that cover all sorts of techniques i have picked up. this allows me to visually compare them all so i can pick and choose. When there is no more room just clean it up and start again.

Cheers,
Paul
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
Godfather - That really cracked me up! After being out of the hobby for ~15 years the only techniques that I got were from the old Shep Paine mags. Now, I have internet overload.

My advice is just pick out what sounds FUN to you and not get bogged down on names.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
I look at the techniques that are out there and with each model I'll try 1 or 2 new ones if they sound like they might be within my skill level and if it works out I add it to things I want to do and if it doesn't i set it aside and worry about it another time.

To keep myself straight I keep logs. I keep on log on building. and another on painting. that way I can look back and see what i tried on what model in the past without getting confused.

ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
Well, I use to try the new technique in a model and if it works fines I then use it meore often...but I can say you that for the most of time I have and need to change the technique for my reality, taht means that I use the method but in my own way or the way I feel more confortable or use special tool developed by myself.
Try and donīt be afraid to learn by your mistakes.... :-)

Cheers
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:07 PM UTC
I try to limit the new techniques to one per model so if it doesn't work out as well as hoped, The model isn't a total loss. I just keep looking at others' models and often asking questions about how they did this or that, and filing the things I may be able to pull off in the back of my head. Sometimes I'll remember it as I'm thinking about how to finish a kit and give it a shot, sometimes I forget and tell myself to try it on the next one. As you keep building you'll develop your own routine for finishing and then it'll become easier to remember that new techinique you've been wanting to try out. Just remember this is fun and new things don't always live up to your expectations the first try...... if it doesn't work out theres always the next kit
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
I usually try any and all techniques at least once to "test the waters"... some work well and some don't ('course, I never figured on taking 2-3 weeks to weather a tank either...), but once I find one I like I don't bother with anything else...
slodder
Visit this Community
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 02:17 PM UTC
Here's what I do. I lay out a plan for each kit before I remove anything from the sprew. I have an idea of the add on's, AM stuff, paint, setting, everything. From that I get an idea of how to achieve each goal (item). I look to try at least one new technique on each kit. I try it and always have a back up plan, either exclude the idea or use a different technique in mind if the first one doesn't work out. I try as many techniques as I have time and energy for in each kit. IE the Campaing Diorama I did at least five new things probably more if I review my notes. I do what works and I skip what doesn't and that's "what works for me". I know of some techniques others really excell at and I don't, I don't use them on a finish kit. Test kit sure, not a finish kit.
The way I remember what works is to document it. I have a 3" 3ring binder. In it I have purchased a bunch of clear sleave like things to hold paper. When I'm done with a kit I take notes on when it was done, what techniques I used, which were good, which were bad, what paint I used, etc etc. I include any pictures or reference material. When i need something I go back through and use it as a resource. It is a very good tool I recommend some type of journal/binder tool for everyone. Sometimes I forget and this jogs the ol' brain cells.
bytepilot
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
Hi godfather,

Don't worry, you aren't alone! After i got back into the hobby after a long break, I went out and laid my hands on a bunch of A/c modelling books; at last count 10!

Now, even I was overwhelmed when I saw the amount of techniques available! Airbrushing, weathering, drybrushing, paint types, panel line detailing, masking, preshading, postshading, detailing/superdetailing, rigging.... WHEW!!!

So I decided : I will try only one technique at a time. I will not try and become a Shep Paine overnight. I will start with the basics, and I WILL IMPROVE with each subsequent model!

With that attitude, i am now more at peace with myself. I am beginning to enjoy my modelling activity, and I also got more time for my family that way !

So, after that loooooong philosphical ramble, I just have one thing to say.... Start small, do one thing at a time, and learn. Apply your experience one step ahead of your last model, and you shall surely attain modelling nirvana!

Cheers,
BP.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
One more thing I forgot - Have fun. Do what you like and use the techniques that make you happy with your work.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's what I do. I lay out a plan for each kit before I remove anything from the sprew. I have an idea of the add on's, AM stuff, paint, setting, everything. From that I get an idea of how to achieve each goal (item).

That is what I have started doing. That way I don't have to put the project aside to make a trip to the hobby store to get something I forgot. Also, I have found that ifi I don't have some kind of plan I am always changing my mind and re-doing things.

I would also agree with those who say try one at a time. I figure if I try a few things on the same model and it doesn't turn out real well I won't be real sure what did or didn't work. But with just one at a time I can examine it by itself and judge accordingly.

Last I would say if it doesn't sound like fun or turns out not being fun find another way to do the same thing. I havn't bought any aircraft with raised pannel lines. The reason for this is sanding a whole plane down and scratching all the lines in doesn't sound that fun to me. Someday it might but for right now I don't want to deal with it.
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2003 - 08:33 PM UTC
I totally agree with Paul160's comment but everyone has their own technique's that work for them so you only have to find the particular techniques you like and go for it.

Happy modelling.

Russ

Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:12 AM UTC
I have just completed my first model, so it was impossible to try only one technique It turned out Ok though, and now I have a good basis on which to build. I have bought 3 more kits and can't to get started on all 3, all being diffrent from each other. I am now going to try to refine the basic techniques I have already used on the next model, and then try to incorporate new ones as I go along.

The Bug has Bitten me, thanks mainly to the help I get from you guys

Roger
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC
Documentation?? No, no way, I get enough of that at work.

My "plan" for my model is the Zen Technique. I "visualize" what and how I will do what I want to the model, day-dreaming about it driving to or from work, checking to make sure I have the paints, etc. Then, when it comes time to built I have a plan in my head, but a plan. So far it has worked out just fine...

Yes, I have a binder of printouts from the web, which I use for references and stuff (especially from Armorama!) but you will not catch me logging what I do to a model!
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:06 AM UTC
2-2dragoon - Am I correct in sensing that you're a software developer of some sort???
 _GOTOTOP