_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Lead/ Metal casting
trabanino
Visit this Community
Guatemala
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi everyone, in my quest finfing the best material to casting, i have some cuestion aobut the metal (lead) figures:

1. Why the figures fabricants discontinue the use of metal for the figures?
2. Do you know something about the intoxication for Lead?
3. In conclusion why just a few fabricants (like Andrea) use the metal (lead) and why the rest use plastic and resin.

Thanks you Guys.
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hi Lead is banned because it contains Toxic substances and is harmfull to the user . cheers ian
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 07:20 PM UTC
White metal is a Lead Substitute....... I think the problem is Findign a good Metal that Melts at low temp. and Flows Smoothly...... there aren't alot of options..... Resins on the other hand are pretty consistant.
wibbler
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 08:40 AM UTC
hi trabanio , lead is highly toxic . it has been known to cause brain damage for centuries . it can build up in the body , even the fumes are dangerous . it used to be mixed with tin (also toxic) which helped to cast finer details . tin is now pretty rare , thus getting more expensive to use , so other materials are employed instead .
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 552 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:17 PM UTC
Hola Trabanino,

Lead was used for years in all sorts of products before it was discovered just how deadly it was by more modern technologies. As has been pointed out, safe handling of the stuff requires a lot of care. I know of all this as I have and still do cast bullets for another hobby on a regular basis. White metal is an excellent substitute and is available if you really want to get into casting your own figures. But unless you want to make a major investment in a lead casting furnace, molds and a whole raft of other necessary but impossible to not have items that can only be used for that one subject, I would advise you to check into casting with resins and making molds with silicon rubber type products. Not only is it much less expensive, but the problems that you can run into with it are a lot less life threatening.
 _GOTOTOP