_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
New Dallas-area model shop!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 10:39 AM UTC
As a longtime member of this forum, I know many of you, and respect your talents as well as your opinions. After 25 years in "corporate america", I am ready to retire at age 50, and want to start a model hobby shop in the Dallas area. Since the demise of our area's premier shop, I feel there has been a real opportunity. Everyone from my wife to financial advisor has told me to be cautious in the shrinking "retail store" market.

This is an open call for things that you as modellers (my "typical" target customers) have to share your opinions and input about what a stellar shop should or shouldn't do to insure the loyalty of clients and to promote the hobby. This is about at $150K investment to start with - this isn't a game, so think seriously about what would be important to you if you were a local customer of a new shop (even if you don't live in the area!)... what would it take (besides free product for life!) to get you to become a loyal repeat customer of a local hobby shop. Input greatly appreciated!!!!

JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
I think the most important things that a LHS can offer to retain customers are knowledge and service. Having a good selection of merchandize at reasonable prices is also key, but what would keep me making the trip to the store would be knowing that if I come in with a question, I can get an answer right then and there, or at least a good guess.
Personal interaction can trump low prices, and being able to see and touch things before buying can add value, which helps build loyalty and repeat business.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC
Good product at good prices. You would need to equal prices at Squadron shop at least not go full retail. Phil's was notable in that they had a lot of aftermarket stuff. Of course you have to be selective as tying up thousands of $ in slow selling inventory is not good business.. As Jim says expertise. I know you and I know you are trying to get Terry as well; that would be what I would call expertise. Location is key also. You don't want to pay a lot of rent, on the other hand you want a location that is easy to get to, and in a place where you will generate a lot of walk in traffic. I also think you should do business on the internet as well.

Oh yes, and special discounts to really good friends !!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :-)
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Location is key as well as other points people have put in on the other thread. Personal interaction, expertise, classes to help model builders of all levels, good pricing and stock on hand. Of course, discounts are always appreciated! lol

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 09:45 AM UTC
Best of luck. It seems it's hard to keep a shop running with just models. I got to work in Austin for 3 years and the two great independents at the time (Village Hobby is now closed due to the owner passing away) maintained a mix of models, train stuff, die cast, some toys and strategy games and maybe some RC. Same thing with Hobby Haven in Overland Park, KS which is a fairly good shop.

I would pick selection over location but proximity to a Starbucks would be good. I would like to see:
1. Good selection of model magazines and reference books - damn hard to find in the bookstores and I'd come in at least twice a month to see if I want to pick up the latest issues
2. Standard modelling supplies
3. Styrene & scratchbuilding supplies
4. Current model kits and some old standards
5. A few aftermarket items like tracks, cables, etc
6. A table in the corner to keep the guys hiding out from their wives from crowding the counter and scaring off the paying customers. :-)
7. Display cases
Plus your product lines and resin/mold materials
I wonder if consignments items would work as well.

I agree that Phil's had a lot tied up in aftermarket items that had been there forever. Same with some of the kits. I still stop by the Hobbytown USA at Parker & Independence but they haven't replenished their stock very well. You can tell the staff doesn't know much the armor or what would sell. No Academy mg sets and there is an Italeri Leopard 1A4 they are trying to sell for $26. Doh. $12 + 4 shipping on eBay. I was surprised to find Echelon 1/35 US/Marine rank and insignia decals.

If it was me, I'd avoid stocking resin kits and go easy on the PE sets. I'm a real tightwad when it comes to PE sets. Don't know how the other feel but I'm always looking for a deal on those. The new Eduard ZOOM sets are great though.

A website or manual process where the customer could request items would be great and keep the stock from getting bloated. Keeps the wife from seeing a package delivered on the doorstep and then eyeing the unbuilt stack.

Paul
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
hiya gang,

my two bits worth..............

a good coffee pot never hurt anyones business,reference half-price book stores, they have em in house, as well as a water cooler.....the water coolers and coffe urns are set out to get drinks and browse on, no table to sit and peruse books....

location is great, but advertising is a must.... be it online, local rags, or just poster/flyers, etc......

i like to browse a store, talk with management, and to see displays, tho i bet that is covered already.

book racks that make sense to the viewer. sectioned to the subject matter, and i know peeps mess em up, but not mixing trains with planes is a good start.

a good up to date bulletin board for local modeling events, classes on how to, etc... a separate contact me section for sales or trade or help area.

product, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. a what i'd like to see comment box is helpfull.

and best of luck to ya buddy...........

reb/billy
strawberry5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
Keith,
I've lived here in Texas for 11yrs now. My main local hobby shop was HobbyMaker in Bedford, I did like Phil's (close to work). I know it is impossible to stock everything for everybody and what all does the word "hobby" entail?? Planes Trains, Tanks, Ships, Cars....... and so on. I'm from Southern California and there the hobby shops I always went to were Military Modeler, Brookehurst Hobbies and Pegeaus Hobbies. All are large shops and carry a good selection. Most importantly they have a good price for what they do carry. One example as stated here in an earlier post was ... why pay $20 +tax for a model now when I can get it online for $12 and with shipping and everything still spend less. Had the lady at HobbyMaker yell at me because I brought that to her attention and was told that it was people like me "killing" the hobby shop. Now let's be honest here, how many of us buy something take it home open it up and start working on it?? I't's more like buy it take it home, hide it from wife, put in stash, forget we bought it for 3 months, start working on it and when asked where we got it reply i've had it for awhile.

I would love to see another hobby shop here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and would take my business there and support it, but be aware of when trying to think what to carry that many of us fell the 3 or 4 shermans and tigers are enough and would like to see her kits also.

P.S. about the discounts to good friends...... i loved it when hobby maker had 20% off coupons.

Steve
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi Keith,

I'm certainly excited about the news... and congraulation with best of lucks!

I know if you ever start a hobbyshop it will be very professional and able to cater to the serious modelers in the area. I too miss Phil's and Hobbymaker. Which to me are very good LHS.

Here are my very humble opinions:

Talk to other hobby shop owners. Go to tradeshows and ask other shop owners (without conflict interest) about their experiences. Talk to them candidly and see what works and what to avoid.

Go small. Have a small store front to keep the overhead low and stay competitive. Keep only necessary supplies such as paint, tools, and few good specialized things.

Go virtual. Do business online and mail order as well. Use a good portion of the investment to have a professional online website and advertising to get our name out there. This will gain wider customer base and keep the overhead flowing.

Get involved. Have club meeting, classes, to gain loyalty of the locals. Go to trade shows and get your name out there. With your professional skill and knowledge you could easily gain a good customer following.

Profit before self-interest. Keep the inventory low but follow the current trend and see what type of kits are profitable.

Buy low and sell high. Buy good model collections at low cost and sell them at the storefront. Many modelers still dont have the means of internet resource. This way you offer them good service in return for good profit.

Keith, I'm excited and happy to hear the news! Get ready to take my money!!

WC

waveriding1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC
After moving from Austin to Dallas over 11 years ago I was able to continue with my armor habit because of the local shops. I enjoyed spending time at Phil's even though it a drive. I knew I could find a kit or some reference material I just couldn't live without each time I went. Having the opportunity to display your work in one of the cases was rewarding. The folks you'd talk with enjoyed the hobby and the staff knew what they were talking about. I too stop in at the Hobbytown USA at Parker & Independence like Paul. I'm disappointed in the selection and the prices. I've started making my purchases over the internet because of what I've seen at that shop. Role playing seems to be a big focus of the staff and some of my questions are incorrectly answered. The location is much closer but I only go in to kill time now. I know, I'll wrap this up. I agree with the others here and hope your hobby shop opportunity comes to fruition.

Dan
badger66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
I think atmospshere is important. I live and work in the Fort Hood area I used to work in Austin and went to Village and Kings. There is a small shop in Killeen but I still maintian contact with Kings Hobby in Austin(My main supplier) and make the 45 min drive due mainly to the way Im treated when Im there. so I think that is improtant also. Im never pressued while I am there and the staff is great!

Don
tabascojunki
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
Hi, everybody! I just dicovered this site and was wondering, is there any idea when this shop may open? I live in Garland, so not far from me.

And if I can throw my 2 cents in, please try to recognize your customers. . It really irks me when you go to a store of any kind and after going there 50 times and talking to the same people 50 times they still act like they've never seen you. Bring back personable customer service!

_GOTOTOP