_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
suggestions for respirators
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
I am looking to buy a mask which will protect me from resin dust and paint fumes, I use mostly acrylic but lacquer now and then. Is there a specifs mask I should be looking for, By specific I mean not brand but specifications.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 12:28 AM UTC
For Just resin Dust.... A simple dust mask will work. If it's the "smell" of the resin dust Vs the Particles, A good Respirator is better. Just read the Label on the Filter as to what it's good for, The package is the best sorce of Info in this case. I Do use one While AB'ing as well.... I wet san resin, so dust isn't much of a concern.

HTH

Matt
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
I never bought one but you could prpbably get good advice at an auto parts store. They sell a wide range of masks for different applications.

Shaun
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
3M 4OOO SERIES RESPIRATOR GAS & VAPOUR

4277 FFABE1P3D: ORGANIC VAPOUR/INORGANIC GAS/ACID GAS CONCENTRATIONS 1000PPM OR 10 x OEL WHICHEVER IS THE LOWER & PARTICULATE CONCENTATION UP TO 20 x OEL

( OEL ) = Occupational Exposure Limit.

This is what is on the packet of the one i have, It's a quality respirator very good made by 3M. Hope this helps a bit

redleg
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 01:43 PM UTC
i would suggest you get the 3M 6000 series with vapour cartridges or multi gas cartrigdes to protect from chemical vapour. and you will need the particulate filter such as the to protect you from resin dust and others.
i used these setup for years now and being working in Occupational health and safety dept, i suggested you get the setup. It will protect you from both vapour and dust.

the whole setup will look something like this

_GOTOTOP