_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Custom Dioramics
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
Does anyone know where I can get Custom Dioramics cheap?
Whenever I atempt to purchase what I want, the shipping costs about $10 US when the product only costs $9.50 US.
Thanks,
Andrew

dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC
As far as I know Custom Dioramics have gone exclusive with VLS....so unless someone knows of a store somewhere who has some old stock....you'll have to get it from VLS or maybe your local hobby shop can get it in for you.
It's sad to see a purely Canadian company selling out to VLS.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 06:58 PM UTC
Actually Custom Dioramics is OWNED outright by Bob and Susan Letterman, the founders of VLS. They also own the line of Warriors resin figures now. They did this because of a squabel with their old partner, Francois Verlinden, who has taken away his line of buildings and resin figures from VLS.

As for the costs... Custom Dio plaster kits have a lot of pieces, and that adds up to a lot of weight... in a retail store, it is often far cheaper because consolidate freigh and handling charges... do you have local dealer? And I actually doubt that their kits cost less for shipping than Verlinden - or am I wrong there?

The most expensive (and largest/most unusual) kits come from PLUS MODEL in Europe... they have HUGE buildings with loads of detail, photo etch, and resin included in every kit. Heck - they even give you lose bricks, wooden beams, and dust! But the frieght is a killer... I order two or three times a year, and the minimum order I place is $500 (to get dealer pricing). On an order of $500, I pay at LEAST $350 more in freight, because it all comes over in a freigh ship in a huge box. The end result is that a $30 kit sells for $65 to $90!

So when you look at it that way, Custom Dio prices aren't so bad, eh?
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
I am looking for something very simple from CD, it is just a rectangular street base. The problem is that it is new and I do not know if many local hobby stores sell it.

Andrew

BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
Oberst, have you checked with Military Hobbies? Don't forget that free shipping over orders of 50.00 (before tax)...

Cheers, Michael

And they have opened a store in Markham,
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
Lincolin County Line Is also some of the OLD Custom Dioramics stiff (the 'nam era bunker & shelter in plaster)
 _GOTOTOP