History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Swedes in warfare....
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
Just curious to know where we've been taking part in the worlds all different conflicts, anyone that has any ideas?
I know that there were some in 5th SS Division Wiking and 11th SS Division Nordland. But was there any taking part in the WW I or for example, oooh.... I don't know..... American Freedom or Civil War???
Anyone fancy giving me a history lesson? :-)
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 11:18 PM UTC
In the 17th century you had of course the Swedes fighting in Germany under Gustavus Adolphus.

IIRC in the late 17th century, Sweden was one of the few to side with the Dutch Republic against the French and English when they attacked in 1672 (together with many German principalities and such). A lot of Scandinavians served in the Dutch navy and Dutch army in the 17th centuries (the only way we were able to maintain an army of 100,000+ and a massive navy, arguably the biggest in the world at the time, in time of war within a nation of just a few million

In the 18th century, they might have been part of some alliances and political manuevering (in particular in the 7 Year's War).

The Swedes definately were part of various coalitions against Napoleon. They were present under Bernadotte (a former marshal of Napoleon) at the battlefield of Leipzig in 1813.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
I remember a company sergeant in tthe Irish Army who had served in the UN Congo contingent in the 60s telling me that the Swedish Contingent there were some of the toughest soldiers he ever met
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 05:27 AM UTC
There was also the attempted Swedish invasion of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the 17th century. The Swedish infantry and Polish/Lithuanian Cavalry gave one another a hell of a fight.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
There was also a Swedish volunteer force (Voluntary Air Force & Volunteer Corps) that helped the Finland against Russia during the Winter War. See:http://www.svenskafrivilliga.com/" TARGET="_blank"> http://www.svenskafrivilliga.com/

Swedes were part of UNTAG in Namibia.

Also don’t forget about the Swiss Guards that guard the gates into Vatican City, they have a formidable history in their own right.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also don’t forget about the Swiss Guards that guard the gates into Vatican City, they have a formidable history in their own right.

Eh, aren't they from Switzerland though and not Sweden?
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Eh, aren't they from Switzerland though and not Sweden?

DOH! Yeah Pat, Senior moment. I've been doing some research into the Swiss guards...