_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Micro Sol / Micro Set
droseman
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hi,

I have just got some decal solutions Micro Sol and Micro Set - what are the best techniques for using them? Do you still have to soak the decals in water ?

Thanks
Dave
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 05:54 PM UTC
Dave:

I just put my first decals on my Jagdtiger 2 weeks ago. Here is what I did. I applied MicroSol to the surface before applying the decal. After that, if you are using water sliding decals, slide the decal off of the backing and onto the model. After this has been accomplished, using a fine brush, brush Microsol over the decal. Voila.

HTH

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 05:56 PM UTC
First it's best to make sure you have a gloss surface.
Yes you still need to soak your water slide decal in water.
Take a soft haired paint brush and put some Micro Set on the location where you want your decal. Then use the brush to slide the decal into place. Put a little more on top and wait. then use a paper towel or cotton bud to press the decal down. (I use a piece of chamois) 98% of the time your end up with no bubbles or silvering. If you see any silvering, add a little more Micro Set, and wait a while and press again.

The Micro Sol, is stronger, and is used to help your decal snuggle down over details, and sink into panel lines. It makes the decal very soft, and even more easily damaged, and if you touch the decal it will get destroyed. If you press on it when it's wet, you'll find the decal ink sticking to your paper towel or cotton bud. You simply apply, and watch what appears to be the decal self destroying itself. So let it dry on it's own, or you can speed up the drying with a hairdryer on low. As the decal dries it will flatten out and conform to the surface.

These products were designed for Micro-Scale/Super-Scale decals, and may react differently with other manufactures decals. So it is best to try on a spare decal to see how it going to react first. On some other manufacturers decals they will have no effect, on others they will totally destroy them.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC
Well - I got busy and got beat to the punch.
I concur with the previous posts.

Gloss coat is key to non-silvering.

Also realted to the topic of decals is to cut off as much clear film as possible before you put your decals in the water. Use a brand new hobby blade and cut right up to the color part of the decal. Use a metal ruler as a protective guide.
droseman
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:22 PM UTC
Thanks, as always chaps for the useful information. I'm off to read the article about using Klear (Future) before I start this...

Dave
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:31 PM UTC
If you are using Future for your gloss coat, don't painic if you see it clouding. This somethmes happens, and the decal sets soften it. It usually disappears after it has a chance to dry again, if not 99% of the time, a top coat of future will clear it up.
 _GOTOTOP