Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
hows the rain?
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 05:48 PM UTC
It’s a little wet out here so I figured I would see how the rest of you guy here in the east are dealing with this rain.

Here we’ll lucky to be on the side of a hill with no real bodies of water above use (not counting my uncles basement but anyway. ) so we don’t need to worry much about flooding but the rest of Somerset county appears to have been hit hard.

Of course the rain gutter on my grandparents house had the end pop loss during one of the downpours so I had to keep running out to check if it was still there. (I swear gutters only go wrong in a downpour. We once had half of one fall off in a storm.) Also haven’t checked the end of the driveway yet. Its probably washed out.
And it looks like the rains not over here yet.

Only time I have ever seen the weather warning interrupting the entire cable network.

Anyway I recently made my way back up over the hill the hill from the lumber company and a housing development (both of which I know the owners of) that are flooded out pretty bad and wanted to wish the rest of you out here in the storm luck. I hope you were all able to keep dry.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 2,169 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:02 PM UTC
HI Jacob

Sorry to hear about the weather and the downpipe problems you are having.

Personally I inspect/review my downpipes and gutterings twice a year pre winter and post winter.

We are weathering the storm well down under here in little old Auckland, New Zealand. No rain for almost a week not bad considering its the middle of winter here.

Regards

Sean
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 09:16 PM UTC
Ken I hate to say it but that weather mans probably right. It stopped raining here sometime last night and just stated to downpour again a little bit ago so its still heading your way.

Usually hurricanes just mean lots of rain for us but I think I prefer the rain to the blizzards

Sean we usually try checking the gutters once a year but I don’t always get around to it.
Checked mine today (or more like jumped under it when the rain started.) and it appears the ones starting to come loss.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:21 PM UTC
Rainin' here now.... had a nice Gully washer... streets are flooded in spots (where the storm drains are plugged)
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:51 PM UTC
were in the middle of a drought in London we have water restrictions and me lawns gone brown, send some of it over here.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rainin' here now.... had a nice Gully washer... streets are flooded in spots (where the storm drains are plugged)

How bad is it in New York. My wife and two daughters are flying out tonight along with 200 other high school band kids?
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC
Mark I don’t think its to bad out that way (compared to DC an some of the other places) considering I haven’t noticed much on the news from New York. I imagine things should be fine for your family up there especially with the band members. (I was in the school band myself when I was still in school.)

And John I think I’ve managed to push all the rain to the east now. It will be up to Ken and Matt to get it over the pond.

Ken we’re about 2000ft above sea level and about the only water marks we have in the area are from the Johnstown flood caused by the dam breaking. Of course I think I would rather be out there in the winters. I’ve already seen 4ft of snow up here

Quoted Text

I'd pave it if I could, but the wife just loves walking around in it bare foot.

And apparently you have nicer lawns over your way to. The plant lifes far to sharp and spiky for that here. :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How bad is it in New York. My wife and two daughters are flying out tonight along with 200 other high school band kids?

Right now it's raining like the hammers of hell.
Got the local usual flooding.

Rain until probably Friday.

Rain or not, I'm sure she and the 200 kids will have a good time in the big apple.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
Anyone remember Agnes? I was a little kid in Pa at the time. Remember seeing lawn chairs stuck 35 feet up in the trees along the Susquehanna River after the water receded. I was only 8, so I don't remember much but I do remember that...
Good luck everyobody.
Shaun
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 06:09 PM UTC
Well, the Governor has declared a state of emergency, as half the state capitol is under water from the Delaware River, and that all but essential state employees have the day off.

Guess who's so lucky to have that fancy designation....
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 06:52 PM UTC
Agnes was long before my time but I do remember the one storm we had in the early 90s. I was in grade school at the time and all the roads to get home where closed. We ended up driving over a flooded bridge as well as the cones they had set up to close off the road. :-)

They were just building the ball field below my house at the time. There dozer had water half way up the cab and then sank a few feet into the mud. After the water went down we had lots of fun watching them dig that thing out.

Dave have fun on your day off.
If you need something to do let me know. I still need the driveway fixed. :-)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
My "20" is Waterloo,NY A bit west of Syracuse on the NY trhuway

Yesterday morning I picked up a load in the Wilkes Barre,Pa area I had to deliver the load to a Wal Mart DC in Maybrook,NY That's near Utica At the time I picked up my load,I81 a bit north of Scranton,Pa was closed due to some flooding It was opened up around noon

Took off going north on I81 I got up to a town near the NY border It was bad A lot of flooding I get into NY The Bingamton,NY area got flooded bad as well I drive 30-40 miles more and pulled into a rest area

I called the Wal Mart DC and was told that the NY thruway between exits 34a to 25a was closed due to flooding That's the east side of Syracuse to past Utica It still is closed Maybe around noon today it may reopen

As far as I know the BingamtonNY area freeways are still closed as well as portions of I81 in the northern PA area
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
I'm an essential employee..... :-) :-)
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
Chad I think Wilkes Barre is still shut down now. (Evacuated large areas due to concern on dams braking.) I know we hade some others areas across the stat shut off for the same reasons but they my have been reopened now.

I haven’t heard much from New York but I know I88 was cut in half and I think we lost a truck in that incident but I don’t know who they drove for.

Good luck getting your load in Chad. Try to keep dry out there.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
That's amazing stuff!

The pic of the tanker with the anchor cables dragging is incredible.

The war warnings are horribly sobering! (with hindsight).

Thanks mate.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:28 PM UTC
Interesting photos Ken,
thanks for posting them.
redneck