History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Did the U.S. mainland get attacked
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 12:11 PM UTC
I was wondering if anyone knew if the U.S. mainland ever came under direct attack? ( not counting the Japanese fire bomb baloons) When I was stationed in southern California I would hear stories of a Japanese sub surfacing and firing off a couple of shells from the deck gun.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 05:24 PM UTC
I remember hearing about a Japanese submarine firing on the mainland. I think it attacked a fuel tank or something like that but I can’t remember it that was here or in Canada.

Also not really the mainland but the Germans sunk a ship in the mouth of the Mississippi.

EDIT: found a link.
http://www.militarymuseum.org/Ellwood.html
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
I believe that I have read the same things about the balloons and sub attack. If I remember correctly the balloons landed in heavy forest areas and started some minor fires and the sub surfaced somewhere near Santa Barbara and fired off a few hasty shots which hit some type of fuel or oil depot.
CReading
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
There were over 900 Baloons launched from Japan that landed in the States. The range was from the west coast where the majority landed all the way to Michigan. Although they didn't create the huge forest fire the Japanese intended these ballons were responsible for the only civilian deaths on US soil by "an attack by an Axis country". A woman and several of her childern found one of these devices while hiking or picnicing in the woods in Oregon. When one of the childern attempted to dislodge the item it exploded.
The Japanese sub surfaced off the coast of California north of Santa Barbara and took several shots at an oil pump located in the hills along the coast.
I believe there was also a sub that surfaced and assembled/launched a small A/C with the purpose (of again) dropping incendiery bombs on the forest. I read an interview with the pilot several years ago. I think this was off the Oregon or Washington coast.

Cheers,
Charles
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC
Tracking back from Rodders article, you find this

Japanese attack America
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC
Wanted for questioning...

Shaun
markm
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
Absolutely love that movie, especially Slim Pickens lines after he was captured. :-)
no-neck
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 07:42 PM UTC
A Japanese sub shelled Oregon near Ft. Stevens and its famous unfired disappearing guns.
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:16 AM UTC
Actually, there was landing of German troops on the south shore of Long Island, NY. My mom recalls that from her childhood living out there.

I've been told that in the Connecticut River harbor near the US Naval station there is a sunken U-boat and is mark as a German War memorial.

My dad recalls while he was a Merchant Marine during WW2 there was uboats that sailed partially up the missippi river towards new orleans