_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Silly Putty
aaronpegram
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2006 - 04:22 PM UTC
Heya guys,

SILLY PUTTY EXISTS IN AUSTRALIA! I just dragged my girlfriend all around Toys'R Us in Belconnen, Canberra, and came across a special addition 'The Incredible Hulk' Silly Putty for about $10. SP comes in its own egg shaped container so make sure it dosent get ground into the carpet or attach itself to the bottom of the toy box.

For all those who are not accustomed to its wonderful property's, SP is used for masking for hard-edge camouflage on tanks and aircraft. Im going to use it on my King Tiger soon, so i will post pics when done...

Aaron.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:55 AM UTC
Why don't you just use blue tack? Just as useful, and a lot cheaper.
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 12:26 PM UTC
aaron

That is very interesting. Have you used Blu Tac before? If so then it would be interesting for you to put a comparison in here as I have always used blu tack and would be interested in knowing whether there was a substantial difference - well enough to warrant the price difference.

Brian
aaronpegram
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 09:45 AM UTC
hey thats a really good idea....ive kind of gone off the idea of using silly putty for the paint job on my KT because ive found images of the tank in question with a soft camo pattern. That and my other project is an Australian M113 in Vietnam and is entirely green.

But i will seek out a kit which involves a cool camo pattern and use it as an experiment. At least thats my excuse for purchasing another kit. stay tuned.

completely off the subject, someone on the main forum mentioned using hobbyeasy in Hong Kong. Not that i have a tendency to advertise, but it turns out that even with P&H, things are waaaaaay cheaper and they are well stocked. Its worth a Captain Cook.

A.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 08:10 AM UTC
I've used blue tack on a 1/72 helicoper and a 1/35 scale tank at it turned out better that i expected. Not sure about how the silly putty works.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:00 AM UTC
Just got done using silly putty for an Italian cammo scheme.Very happy.
Hard edged schemes can be found on most French WW2 armor if you are looking for test subjects.Mine is on a Wermacht Panther A deployed near Rome.(Meow Campaign).
Can you reuse Blu-tack like Silly Putty?
cheers!
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
I haven't used Bluetak as a masking agent but I have used it to hold arms and legs and accessories on figures while I fit them together prior to gluing.
Great stuff.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
just looked at an rticle in one of the tamyia modelling magazines and one of the modellers used silly putty as a mask. I remember having some when i was a kid. I think the difference beteween the two is that silly putty is a ot softer and easir to manipulate, so it probably wot break delicate parts, whereas blue tack is pretty hard and you need to work it more to become softer, and it is harder to pull off your model. I'll be looign for some silly putty and will see how it goes.
Donald
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 07:41 PM UTC
Make your own silly putty

Readers letter in FSC September issue fromPaul Trimble :

1. 12ml white glue
2. 10ml water
3. make 4% borax solution with warm water
4. add 2.5ml of the borax solution to the white glue/water & stir well.
5. remove the solid and discard the liquid.
6. knead the solid until no longer sticky.

Voila ! Silly putty !
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC
I was talking to the guys at my local club last night about blue tac. Some (armour and mil softskins) love it while others (planes and civi cars) don't. Seems the reason for the anti blu tack side was that it removes Future. Just about all of these guys seem to use Future while the armour softskins brigade use gloss varnish. I just thought it was an interesting exercise. From this I have develped a theory. For every person that loves a particular technique you will always find someone who has had an extremely bad experience with that technique.

Cheers
Shane
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 08:51 AM UTC
Donald thanks for the Silly Putty recipe I might have to try that. The only thing is what is Borax and where do I find it?

Shane I'm a big fan of blu tack myself and use it all the time when I mask. Also depending on how you use it you can achieve either a hard or soft edged camo. The RAAF Spitfire Mk.VIII below was masked with blu tack and sprayed to achieve a soft edge scheme.

Cheers
Darren

class
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 02:04 PM UTC

high,

would like to add my bit about silly putty,I have been unale to find it in any toy shops in my area,but while I was looking for it I found a product called craft dough,very much like play dough my kids used .This one is very much cheaper and the one I bought came in a pack with 6 tubs all different colours,its a little like blue-tack but much softer and plyable you can buy it from most of them cheap doller shops and it only cost me $2 dollars.Once used with paint on it it becomes dry and has to be discarded,but as it comes in tubs what you dont use will keep.

regards jim
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:34 PM UTC
Excuse my ignorance - but what about normal children's plastersine as a replacement for blue tac and silly putty. Has anyone used plastersine? Iain
artillerywrath
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 06:59 PM UTC
"SILLY PUTTY EXISTS IN AUSTRALIA! " hahaha lol, you went to toys r' us and got ripped off for 10 bucks ?

you can get in the toy section in coles for like a dollar
 _GOTOTOP