Trouble with decals?
Stupid Question.......
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 03:01 PM UTC
OK...this may seem to be child's play as far as a question goes.....but I have always been a child at heart anyway....so here goes.

After being away from the hobby for 10 years or so....I am to the point on my first model back that its time to put on the decals. I have put on my top coat of future....although I am not convinced it is looking the way its supposed to....should the future give it a really glossy coat....or just a subtle sheen to it? Mine has the subtle sheen.....looked good when it was wet....but now that its dry.....oh well....will continue.

OK....here is my problem....I have 2 bottles, one is Polly S Decal softening solution, the other is Polly S Decal Setting solution.....both have the exact same instructions on each.....how and when do I use these, if at all?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC
Scott,
I, myself, use Solvaset from Walhters, but If i'm not mistaken, the setting solution makes the decal adhere better to the surfac and the softening solution makes the decal shrink around odd shapes and crevices. I also have the Microscale setting and softenin solutions and they seem to work the same. I am pretty sure the rest of the guys will help out here to tell us the difference.
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 03:49 PM UTC
Scott,
The glossier the finish, the better the decals will look. If all you have is a semi-gloss finish, then just apply a second coat. Future, like paint needs several coats sometimes, better that then slopping it on and having it run. Depending on the quality of the decals you're using, a semi-gloss may do the trick. What are you using? If you're dealing with old Tamiya or Airfix decals or some such than you want a mirror smoothe finish before you can even think of removing decal sheen.

As for decal solutions, like the last post says, one makes them soft so they conform to odd curves and the other helps them stick. You'll find yourself using the softening agent a whole lot more than the other. I've heard that viniger has the same effect, but I haven't ever tried this yet.

As for decal adhesion, the better it sticks (the more surface area of the decal that comes into contact with the paint under it) the less glare you will get, so it is something you want to get. So I guess to answer your question, use the setting solution on your decals. If any of them are going over a bizzare surface (a rivet, or a large decal on a compound curve) then use the softner.

Even though I usually swear by Polly S products, I've never used their decal solutions so I can't say how well they work, or if there is some weird reaction if you combine them, there shouldn't be.

AND no, that wasn't a stupid question

Ralph
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 08:22 PM UTC
as I can remember with the stuff from microscale
the sol makes it soft and makes your decal strech over all kind of surfaces
and the set that sets the decal on yr model
and I think in your case it will be softening solution first and then the setting solution
cause why soften something when its already set :-)
 _GOTOTOP