_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
rolled cloth how to?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 07:22 AM UTC
I am familiar with making rolled tarps, but i would like to make a rolled rounded tarp. Hope that makes sense. Almost like a parachute would look when packed. I want to represent material other than tarp. any suggestions on how to make?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 10:06 AM UTC
Godfather

Maybe this will help you out
It`s a small feature about making tentrolls that I made for the site when I just signed myself up as a member. It works quite simple and I think that after you have experimented with different sizes and folding techniques that you will come to the result you want

how to make tentrolls

hope it is of some help

BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 04:11 PM UTC
Im not quite sure what your talking about, but I think what you want is material thats more bunched and folded than just rolled? Or are you more concerned with the texture?
In either case, this may help...
Many art supply and craft stores carry a product called sculpy which is a synthetic clay. You can buy it in small packettes for about $2.00 (US) and you'll have more than enough for tarps, rolls, sand-bags et al. What you'll want to do is take a small blob of the stuff and flatten it out into a pancake on a piece of wax paper. Once you got it as flat as you want it cut off the rounded edges so you have a flat little square. Roll it up any way you want it, but carefully. then lightly mold it to form the curves, and dimples that you requre.
Then lightly press it onto the surface that you want it on and again mold it so it rests how you want it to.

NExt(and this is important), if you're going to be forming a tight tie-down for it (one which will further distort the shape of the object, apply that now and then remove it, leaving a relief of the rope or strap or whatever. Let your finished piece sit out for about a half hour to stiffen a bit. Finally place it on some tin foil and stick it in the oven for about 6 to 10 minutes at 275 Farenheit. The stuff is non-toxic and doesn't release any vapors so don't worry/. Voila! you're done.

You could forgo the step of making a relief of straps and having to remove them before you use the oven by using either an air drying clay but then you get a rough texture. Sculpy can be textured any way you like. I suppose you can also try this with an epoxy, but I'm not sure it has enough plasticity to withhold all the rolling and folding. Hope that helps.

Ralph
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Many art supply and craft stores carry a product called sculpy which is a synthetic clay. You can buy it in small packettes for about $2.00 (US) and you'll have more than enough for tarps, rolls, sand-bags et al.
Ralph

Cool to see another sculpy user Although I use sculpy a lot , and you can press fabrics into the sculpy for the texture, I perfer using the tissue paper method. My way is to use paper towel paper instead of toilet paper dipped in water mixed with a little white glue. Tie Off the ends with thick thread, then place on a plate or tin foil and place in the oven at about 275 to dry out.

The material looks a little thicker than the toilet paper version, so using a mix of techniques would give you a variety of materials.

Sel
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:22 AM UTC
godfather...
See my post "just a tip to share" in Figures; might be something you could use...
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hola!

You can use the same procedure like the Sculpey with Magic Sculpt, Milliput, or Duro. Only thing that would be different is that you dont have to bake it as it cures all by it self!
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
You can make tent canvas using kitchen plastic. Just cut out a litle bigger piece than you need, attach it on a solid base with tape and paint it with enamels.
This is how I made my tent for Hutwarming diorama. I donīt see why it wouldnīt work making rolls or folds as it must be one of the thinnest materials available...and cheapest!!!

Toni
 _GOTOTOP