_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Lighting and colors
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
I recently took the photo below and was disappointed in how the background color came out. I used a medium blue for the background but as you can see it came out anything but blue. I assume it was because of the lighting used, but not being an experinced photographer, I don't know. I used three 100 watt 'natural light' bulbs. One on each side and one on top. Any suggestions for better color rendition?

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC
Do you have a white balance button on your camera? Try hitting it to see what happens. Do you have spot metering? Make shure it's engaged and center it in the model. If you look at my gallery, all the pictures of my stuff is done much as yours. There's a picture in there of the set up as well.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 04:15 AM UTC
I checked the manual and do have white balance. I'll try adjusting it to incandescant lighting the next time. No reference though to spot metering.

Thanks for your help.
BuckGully
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 06:38 AM UTC
Actually, try all of the different white balance settings on your camera and see which one works best. Especially when using "natural light" bulbs, since they're not the same color as normal incandecent bulbs.

nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 02:14 PM UTC
If you have a custom white balance use that, it will do a better job than any of the presets.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 01:39 AM UTC
The kind of lighting you are taking the picture in, e.g. cloudy daylight, sunlight, normal bulbs, daylight bulbs, strip lighting and the camera setting will make a HUGE difference to your pictures.

Leave your camera set on bulb and take a pic in sunlight. The pic will have a very orange tinge. change it to strip light and do the same, the pic will have a greenish tinge.

I have a Canon D50 DSLR and when I forget to switch to the correct lighting setting it WILL ruin photos.

Hope this helps some.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks Murdo, I have learned that lesson. The picture below was taken indoors with a combination of flourescent and natural incandescent bulbs. As you can see, it made a world of difference.

InfantryMan
Visit this Community
Coimbra, Portugal
entire network: 29 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 03:25 PM UTC
Hello there
you should try to view some forum posts that are in Armorama forum. Your light conditions donīt help you in your photos. In photography light is everything (Photography....writing with light). You should cam outside and try to take your pictures with daylight or with an inside technic that John use in this Forum Topic

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/73418&page=1

Good pictures
Pedro
 _GOTOTOP